SOLVED Explorer Thumbnail Preview Randomly Stopped Working. Yes I've tried folder options.

Reaction score
Hello Community,

New to the forum so hopefully I'm posting correctly. Like the title says, picture preview has randomly stopped working. I use this feature daily for work so this is crippling. No changed settings, no newly installed apps. It was working fine and then it wasn't. I've done all the things a quick Google search suggested...double checking folder settings, cleared Explorer image cache and restarted several times. Windows is up to date. WTF? Any gurus care to chime in? Please help!

Attachments

• About.jpg
    About.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 554
Reaction score
Tried your suggestion. No dice. It's really strange too. Medium Icons will show the preview, but as soon as I switch over to Large or Extra Large, it immediately switches back to icons.

Reaction score
Found the problem;

I had recently installed Google Drive Stream and decided to try uninstalling it. Thumbnails came back! I then re-installed GDS and not it and thumbnails are working. That was a weird one.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience and solution.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Seems to me some programs seem to think they "own" your PC. Case in point, CyberLink Media Suite that came with my Blu-Ray burner decided it owned all my music. But ,again,so did iTunes.
Not sure what other programs / apps do.
I do know Google and Firefox are both pushing new features which is why I stopped allowing automatic install a long time ago

Last edited:
Reaction score
As to disappearing thumbnails - WIn 10 retired windows photo viewer and defaulted to photos and all I saw on desktop was a bunch of blue mountain icons. 1/2 hour with windows tech support gave a 30 second fix:
On desktop search box enter "file options" , click on "file explorer options" and then click on view.
There you can uncheck the box saying "Always show icons, never show thumbnails"
As long as I select folders from File Explorer all is good. If i open download file inside Firefox I still only see icons
PS I did not see the option to apply to all files & folders as seen in Wolfie's post - Am I missing something

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie - Done
Maybe your #2 fix is more universal , now if I can just figure out how to refer to your link

Last edited:

Ask a Question