Favorites

Reaction score
I have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 and MS Edge. Overtime, I have created a number of separate folders in my Favorites, each folder containing several URLs for relevant websites.

Where can I find all of these favorites in my File Explorer?

Thank you.

Reaction score
I used that folder a lot, in the past, Norton, but I have found, since Windows 10, that it no longer mimics Edge, only IE. Of course, it is a simple matter to import from one to the other.
I think Edge bookmarks are deep down here:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default

I still use the Favourites folder for my repository, and do a delete in Edge and reimport whenever I feel the need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't like or use Edge, simple tasks saving links, bookmarks favorites just seems awkward.

Reaction score
There is no C:\Users\username\AppData folder on Windows 10 Pro. A search of the word "favorites" reveals no occurrence in any of the individual folders of C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Windows. There is a Favorites folder in C:\Users\username but that bears no relationship to the tens of URLs I have in my Edge favorites.
I have used Edge for the last 2-3 years with increasingly difficulty and the browser is increasingly slow for surfing (3-4 minutes to bring up a webpage after I enter the URL). No cause for the deteriorating slowness found, and no solution either. Firefox is much easier to use and much faster for now - though I do not know if the surfing slowness is caused by Edge or iy Windows 10 Pro. What I'd like to do is move all of my Edge favorites to Firefox but I can't find them to copy and I'd rather not do it manually. I have a query with Mozilla Support to see if anyone has dealt with this before.
I have spoken with a couple of people who use Windows 10 and Edge and they too were stumped. But then they switched to Google equipment and software a while back.

Reaction score
"There is no C:\Users\username\AppData "
There most certainly is. Without it you would have some difficulty running one or two programs. Have you tried, in the "View" tab, showing hidden files and folders.

Capture.PNG

A suggestion to your problem. I have never needed to try it

Export the favorites fro Edge, to a file (you will find the option, oddly under imports Edge) Then see if you can import the file to FF

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave My feelings exactly. Not to disagree with the OP but what you snipped is what my PC shows. If you right click the Fav Folder, you can pin it to "Quick Access"
I just use the bookmark tab in Fire Fox.

Reaction score
davehc, thank you for helping however I very much disagree: there is absolutely NO C:\Users\username\AppData folder. See below. I rely on what I see.

upload_2017-8-26_8-7-9.png

I have over 150 URLs in different Favorite folders that I want to move to Mozilla since Edge has become a very slow browser since the most recent Windows 10 update on August 9 and there is no identifiable fix on the horizon (3 to 5+minutes to open a URL).

Anyway, in this day and age of automation, locating the Edge favorites sites in an impossible quest for knowledge for those of us who are no core techies. The one apparent way to have my favorites in Mozilla is to put them there manually, one at a time.

Of course, I also do not know nor can I find where on MS File Explorer are the Mozilla Firefox favorites. So I added the additional manual task to protect myself: create a document where I manually keep track of all of the favorites and copy my URL links.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-26_8-6-26.png
    upload_2017-8-26_8-6-26.png
    10 KB · Views: 450
Reaction score
Thank you, Davehc. I changed the view settings as depicted. It did not change a thing. Still no C:\Users\username\AppData.

Thank you, Norton as well. I have no idea what it is that I am supposed to do.

Gentlemen, thank you for trying to help me. I do not have a computer science degree of any kind and have never coded in my life. The processes you depict for me demonstrate enormously that unless you know how to read and write programs in C++ or whatever language is used and are fully conversant in the technology language, there is no way one can decipher how things work, where they are and what needs to be done to make things work a simple way. Episodes like this, like for so many others like me, be they in the 20's or be they older, drive in the very fact that technology becomes synonymous with fright because if you do something wrong there may be a high chance that the whole thing will stop working if you do not know what you are doing. It is technology that is restricted to only the initiated, something intended by default and by consequence to PREVENT the uninitiated from doing things better and from automating what should have by now become easy.

I truly do appreciate your trying to help me but I do not have the technology education. At the moment, the only simple workable solution is to manually transfer each and every URL in my Edge Favorites to my Mozilla Favorites AND to keep a written document of what is in the favorites folders because those folders are nowhere to be found. It's depressing that something that should be so much simpler is so much more complicated than it should be. Favorites have existed for many, many, many years. It is a tool many of us use to try and facilitate our online research and activities. But in the end, because this automation process for Favorites is so crushingly impossible to use, it has in effect evolved to remain an intensely manual process. The opposite of its original intent to make things simpler.

I do mean it that I do appreciate that you are trying to help me. I do not have the proper technology education and experience to enter the forbidden city. I do not see myself spending several thousand $ getting a degree to understand how Favorites work in each iteration of Windows 10 and Edge and how to copy them from Edge to Mozilla. I give up. I have tried numerous web searches on how to do what I am trying to accomplish: automatically copy all of my Edge Favorites to the Mozilla Favorites. In vain. It's depressing to know that the only apparent method is to manually copy each URL into Mozilla Favorites AND keep a separate written record of these entries.

Reaction score
I understand your frustration, personally I don't like or use Edge. It's lacking features that are standard in other browsers. Studies show more users are dumping Edge.

Reaction score
It's difficult for me to understand how a great company like Microsoft lets a product like Edge damage the brand.

Reaction score
I do not understand why Microsoft which is such a great company lets Edge damage its brand so much.

Reaction score
Drifting here, but edge opens sites, closes them, has tabs and can even open PDF files.

What does the basic user need more than that?

Ask a Question