File Explorer Display

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Pro with Intel(R) Core(TM i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz - 64 bit os x64-based processor.

Could anyone give me specific, step by step instructions (I am totally not computer savvy) on how to change by File Explorer Display. I do not want to see or have (1) Quick Access, (2) One Drive, (3) This PC.

I only want to see Local Disk C: when I open File Explorer. I want to use my hard drive for program and related files. I plan to have all art work and documents and personal file on an external hard drive and want none of that on my hard drive.

If anyone is willing to help me, I would be so appreciative.

Thank you.

Reaction score
not sure its a good idea to mess with File Explorer, you never know when you may need it.

easy alternative -

on your desktop, create a shortcut :

Type the location of the item C:\
Type a name for this shortcut Local Disk (C)

if you do not want the shortcut on your desktop, move it to :

C:\Users\"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
(use your username without "")

if you click on the Start, you will see under apps & folders, under L,
Local Disk (C), right click on this & you can Pin to Start

Pin to start.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you for responding. It may be true that I may need File Explorer as it is (one day) - but that is not what I want now. I want to have my computer the way I want it. If you know how to achieve what I am interested in, please let me know and thank you.

Reaction score
not sure its a good idea to mess with File Explorer, you never know when you may need it.

easy alternative -

on your desktop, create a shortcut :

Type the location of the item C:\
Type a name for this shortcut Local Disk (C)

if you do not want the shortcut on your desktop, move it to :

C:\Users\"USERNAME"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
(use your username without "")

if you click on the Start, you will see under apps & folders, under L,
Local Disk (C), right click on this & you can Pin to Start

View attachment 4073

Reaction score
It may not be a good idea, but I am not asking that. I want to have my computer the way I want it. If you know how to achieve what I want, I would be most grateful if you would please tell me. If you do not want to tell me, please let me know that and thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What you can manage to do is pretty much restricted.
You can use the "Change folder and search options" from the "Options" icon from the "View" tab in File Explorer to switch from "Quick Access" to "This PC".
Then collapse "Quick Access" and "One Drive" in the left Navigation Pane and the "Folders" in the right pane, but the best you are going to be able to end up with is something like this, when closing and reopening File Explorer

Capture.PNG

OR you can turn off the Navigation Pane and end up with this

Capture1.PNG

Other than that I suspect that it will either require some third party software or some serious registry minipulation.
http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-tip...etwork-icons-from-navigation-pane-of-this-pc/

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Reaction score
Hi Athena,
If you want to delete "One Drive" for that one I can help you.
First you save your Registry, then you follow this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Policies / Microsoft / Windows / One Drive
You clic on "One Drive" and on the right side you will see "DisableFileSync" on wich you double-clic and set the value at 1 instead of 0, you validate by "OK", then you close the Registry and restart your computer.
If you want to uninstall One Drive completely, you type:
Windows + R
You type in the search box: taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe and validate "OK"
Once again Windows + R
You type if your in 32 bits: %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall and "OK"
If your system is 64 bits you type: %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall and "OK"
A very brief black window will appear and disappear, it's normal.
And you restart your computer.
For the other things you want to get rid of, I think you should do as Noob Whisperer said.
Sorry for bad English, I hope I helped you.

Have a nice day

Hi Athena,
If you only want to hide "One Drive", you open the Registry and follow this path:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT / CLSID / {018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6} / ShellFolder
You clic on "ShellFolder" and in the right section you look for "Attributes" on wich you double-clic.
In the new window you make sure that the base is in hexadecimal, and instead of "f080004d" you replace it by " f090004d " and validate by "OK".
You close the Registry and restart your computer.
Bye

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you Jay B ! Very very much !
Please tell me how to save my Registry. - - - Also, how do I find this path to follow ?? - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Policies / Microsoft / Windows / One Drive ?? I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable about computer management - I use my computer only for my art work so I don't know things like where a Registry is (even what a Registry is).

I don't know what "base" is - nor hexadecimal.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to me.

Reaction score
Hi Athena,

To open the Registry you press "Windows + R" and in the new box,in the search area you type "regedit" and validate by "OK".
If you want to save your Registry, you choose "computer" (Ordinateur) by clicking on it.

Registry.PNG

Mine is in French, so I will translate it.
Then you click on "File" (Fichier) and you select "export".
A new window named "Export Registry File" (Exporter un fichier du Registre) will open.
You select where you want to send it (Documents, usb device, external disk) and give it a name (Nom du fichier).
In the section "Extent of export" (Étendue de l'exportation), you select "All" (Tout).
Then you click on "Record" (Enregistrer) and you let it work, it's not very long.

Export Registry.PNG

About One Drive, do you want to hide it or delete it completely ?

I'll wait for your answer.

Bye

Ask a Question