File Explorer now displays Double Spaced

Reaction score
Greetings group,

I noticed a few days ago that all my file explorer views are double spaced. Coincidence? My 1511 update installed the day before this display problem, Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I was just about to give you an example.
I hope you can figure this one out for me.
Thanks.

Attachments

• file explorere double spaced.jpg
    file explorere double spaced.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 960

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that, that spacing is mostly dictated by your screen resolution.
Since the last update have you re-installed your video driver and examined your screen resolution.
Does altering your screen resolution appear to have any positive or negative impact on the icon spacing.

It's really controlled here by the "twips" value indicated by a dash or minus (-) sign, which in the registry doesn't mean minus at all, but represents the twips value
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics right pane IconVerticalSpacing (mine is set for -1125 )
I don't think I would mess with that two much unless I created a system restore point, backed up the registry key and probably just to be extra sure..... a disk image (my favorite way of protecting myself against my own mistakes)

Reaction score
I did some driver updates and I believe one of them was for my graphics. But, those updates were done after this problem started. I use Free Commander, which is a terrific dual pane File Explorer replacement. It's not double spacing. It seems it would be affected as well as explorer if it was resolution related, don't you think? I'll do some snooping around and see if I can do any updates on my desktop resolution settings. Thanks, as always, for your input. I'll let u know what I find.

Reaction score
Hello, Windows 10 2004 still has this annoying 'feature'. Toggling Tablet mode has no effect. Nor has any of the various suggested setting changes. A System Restore would fix it IF you have a restore point but nowadays a system restore also takes an extraordinary long time, 2 or more hours in my case.
This is how I get my computer back to the normal single spacing (HP X360 Pavillion). I discovered this because I wanted to do a system restore and couldn't remember the password. From memory, so the sequence may be mixed up in places
<Shift>-Restart computer
Select Troubleshoot
Select Advanced Options
Select System Restore
Enter Login name (it will be offered to you) - continue
Password - enter a nonsense password, it will be rejected, go back a screen (?), a Restart button will be visible
Restart the computer

Fixed. Maybe it is just the restart into one of the 'repair' option that fixes it?
Anyway, good luck.

Reaction score
Answer this question and your problem will be solved:
Select the keyboard shortcut Win+S, type Settings, click Settings (top item drop-down menu), and select Accounts. What do you see under your user name 1?

Reaction score
Answer this question and your problem will be solved:
Select the keyboard shortcut Win+S, type Settings, click Settings (top item drop-down menu), and select Accounts. What do you see under your user name 1?
I have no user name 1.
I see my name, email and Administrator

FWIW, I have now corrected the display by
Start button
<Shift>-Power-Restart
When the startup option show on my screen I chose restart once more (normal)

I speculate that it has to do with an uninitialized variable in the code. It would hold a random value, depending on how the computer boots up.

Reaction score
I had the same issues. My taskbar icons, desktop icons, and everything in file explorer was double spaced after updating to 2004. I found an easy solution that worked for me here on windowslatest.com.

1. Open Windows Search (Win+S).
  2. Type ‘Tablet settings”.
  3. In Tablet Settings, click on “Change additional tablet settings”.
  4. Under “When I’m not using tablet mode”, turn off all options.
  5. Restart Explorer.exe in File Explorer or reboot your system.
It was immediately fixed for me. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Reaction score
I had the same issues. My taskbar icons, desktop icons, and everything in file explorer was double spaced after updating to 2004. I found an easy solution that worked for me here on windowslatest.com.

It was immediately fixed for me. Hope this helps anyone with the same issue.
You only have turn the ''Make buttons in File Explorer easier to touch'' setting Off. And you shouldn't have to restart .

Ask a Question