File Explorer MESS

Reaction score
I have asked this question several times - in several different forums - in several different sites. The basic answer I always get is "we wouldn't recommend making changes".

I will try once more. When I open File Explorer I have tons of stuff I DON'T WANT TO SEE. And, I have multiple duplicates of Folders THAT I DON'T WANT. Duplicate folders only take up additional space that I don't have !. I realize that many people may want to see Quick Access or One Drive of Homegroup or Libraries. I DON'T !. I want to see only the folders I create. I want to use the C drive for Program and System and operational folders and never open it unless required. I want all of my folders for my work in my external hard drive. For some unknown reason, a duplicate of that drive also appears

Will Windows ever wake up and realize that not every single person wants exactly the same thing? Could they not concede that maybe just maybe a person may want to to set up their computer the way they want it since in fact it is theirs? ? ?

I only do art work and documents and know nothing about computer hardware or system files or operating systems, etc. I cannot fix this mess unless I have some help. Is there anyone, anyone out there who will help me?

Thank you.

Attachments

• File Explorer Display.jpg
    File Explorer Display.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
I strongly recommend backing up the registry, as well as creating a restore point before reading and applying the tweaks in this article here.....
http://www.askvg.com/windows-10-tip...etwork-icons-from-navigation-pane-of-this-pc/

Thank you so much for helping me and so so quickly too ! I do appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have more questions now. - First in your response you recommend backing up the registry and creating a restore point first. I have no clue how to do either. I went to Windows support and there 5 short instruction steps - the second one says "In Registry Editor locate and click the registry key or subkey that you want to back up. How do I know which registry key or subkey I want ? Step 5 says to export the saved file to a location I want. How do you know the best location.

When I go to the link you gave me (thank you thank you thank you) it says on page 10 that if I don't want to modify Registry myself I can download a ready-made Registry Script to do it for me. It tells me that I still must manually take ownership of the Registry key first. I have not even a faint idea.

Are you willing to help me any further? Even if you say now, thank you so much anyway (I know I'm a pain).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Backing up the Registry https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-back-up-the-windows-registry-2625146

Creating a System Restore Point.
Simply right click "This PC" in File Explorer navigation pane and from the context menu choose "Properties"
In the left column of the System Properties Windows click the link that says "System protection"
Select your installation drive if more than one is present..... presumably Local Disk (C) and click the "Create" button, Give it a name (anything is fine, maybe your initials) and click that "Create" button

Capture.PNG

As far as taking ownership of a particular registry key.....
It's pretty straight forward and simply involves right clicking the key and selecting "permissions" from the context menu.
I'm loath to reinvent the wheel, so have a look at this article here http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-take-ownership-of-registry-keys-in-windows-10/
I couldn't do any better job of explaining than that, but....
Perhaps our resident registry expert @Regedit32 may have something to contribute if he sees the need. He's really pretty spectacular at that sort of thing.

NOTE: Any link to another site / web-page that I provide, is solely for the purpose of providing information contained in the article as written.
Please do not click any links / advertisements on said site as it is never my intention to direct you to purchase or subscribe to anything..... just the information is all.

Reaction score
Backing up the Registry https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-back-up-the-windows-registry-2625146

Creating a System Restore Point.
Simply right click "This PC" in File Explorer navigation pane and from the context menu choose "Properties"
In the left column of the System Properties Windows click the link that says "System protection"
Select your installation drive if more than one is present..... presumably Local Disk (C) and click the "Create" button, Give it a name (anything is fine, maybe your initials) and click that "Create" button

View attachment 6319

As far as taking ownership of a particular registry key.....
It's pretty straight forward and simply involves right clicking the key and selecting "permissions" from the context menu.
I'm loath to reinvent the wheel, so have a look at this article here http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-take-ownership-of-registry-keys-in-windows-10/
I couldn't do any better job of explaining than that, but....
Perhaps our resident registry expert @Regedit32 may have something to contribute if he sees the need. He's really pretty spectacular at that sort of thing.

NOTE: Any link to another site / web-page that I provide, is solely for the purpose of providing information contained in the article as written.
Please do not click any links / advertisements on said site as it is never my intention to direct you to purchase or subscribe to anything..... just the information is all.

Reaction score
I got all of your information and am going to try every step. I will think of you and think positive through the process. I am so grateful.

I got you on your NOTE part !

Trouble, thank you again. If I can accomplish this whole deal I'll come back and let you know.

Reaction score
I didn't expect to immediately be back with more problems - but I did post to the author first with no response, so I'm asking again for help. I went to the Registry Backup site (lifeline).

In that I want to backup the entire registry, here are the instructions given (in pieces):
  • To back up the entire registry: Locate Computer by scrolling to the very top of the left side of the registry (where all the "folders" are).
  • Not sure what to back up? Choosing to back up the entire registry is a safe bet. If you know which registry hive you'll be working in, backing up the entire hive is another good option.
  • If you're making a full backup of the registry, the All option should be pre-selected for you.

The author never provides instructions about what to do after finding Computer. I tired clicking on it anyway and then exporting - nothing of course.

Can you help me a little more, please. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Simply right click on "Computer" at the top of the left column Tree and from the context menu choose "Export"
Pick a folder to save it in or create a new folder where ever you want give the folder a name, give the file a name and click the "Save" button

Capture.PNG

Depending on the actual size of the registry in can take a minute or two to generate the backup.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble - wanted to let you know I was able to back up registry and creating restore point ONLY because of your directions. I then went straight to work try to do the tutorial steps on lifewire and intowindows - could make none of them work. The one on Homegroup had no resemblance at all to the things on my computer, so I think that tutorial may have been for a previous version. Anyway - all that really screwed everything - so I thought I'd restore but even that disappeared. I have to take my computer for repairs I guess so I just give up. Just found out I have pneumonia so I guess I have to live with this mess for a while but I wanted to thank you for all the help you tried to give me. At least you listened and made an effort - you are the first.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Ask a Question