File Explorer problems

Reaction score
Some times when I click on File Explorer (Windows 10) down on the Task bar, it may take two or three minutes to open. Other times it opens instantly. I ran that SFC /SCANNOW as administrator and nothing showed up. Any suggestions ? Thanks Mike

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

You could try the following:
  • Press your Winkey + R to open the run dialog
  • Type msconfig then press enter or click OK
  • Open the Service tab
  • Now scroll down to Windows Search. Remove the checkmark next to this item.
  • Click APPLY, then OK, the Restart Now (i.e. reboot pc)

See if that improves your situation. If not, then you can always replace the checkmark later.

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32. Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested, and will wait and see. Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
Hi, Well the problem is back this morning. If I click on File Explorer, it will eventually open, but it might take a minute or two, usually it opens instantly. I also notice that when this happens, I also can NOT open UPDATE AND SECURITY. If I click on Start / Settings, all the other 8 items open instantly, such as System, Devices, Network, Personalization, Accounts, Time, Ease, and Privacy. But when I click on Update and Security, the next page opens, but none of the items on the left side will open such as Updates, Defender etc. Sometimes when this happens, I check Task Manager, and the Disc activity is OK. No problems there. When this happens, if I RESTART the computer all will be fine after it boots up. This problem also only happens during the first half hour or so after Startup. The rest of the day it seems OK, but not 100% sure about that. I will pay attention to that from now on. I got this Dell OptiPlex on Feb. 12. It has the I7 4790 processor, and works great except for that problem. It boots to the desktop in 25 seconds. It had Windows 8.1 on it, but I did a CLEAN install to Windows 10 from a Disc I had created. Just about ready to start over with a format and another clean install, but afraid the problem will be back after I spend several hours doing another install. Any other suggestions ?? Can I do a REPAIR with that disc I made, even though I already did that SFC / SCANNOW. If so, will I loose anything I installed since, like all my pictures, music, etc. Thanks, for any suggestions, Mike

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Sorry you are still having issues with that file explorer.

First, you may want to repeat the suggestion I previously mentioned and put that checkmark back on otherwise Windows will send you alerts to do this and that can be just as annoying.

Windows 10 has a repair option built in which may well be worth trying.

To get to this option:
  • Click your Start Orb
  • Click Settings
  • Click Update & Security
  • In the left pane click Recovery
Now you'll see in the right pane two options. It may be worth using the Reset this PC option.

Before doing this you can read the following to find out what options there are and what they do:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

You'll notice there is an option to avoid deletion of any few files you have saved, created etcetera, like your music photos. So read how it works first so you know what choices to make as this process obviously requires a reboot of the PC to work.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks again, Regedit32 for the additional info. I printed off the article you gave a link to. Just a question concerning the choice of RESET THIS PC, and Keep My Files. Not sure what APPS means. Things that I installed like Office 2016, Kaspersky Anti Virus, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, VLC Media Player, Belark Advisor, will they stay, or will they be gone . Thanks, Mike

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

An APP (or application) is at its most basic definition a software application. Rather than go into the broader definition I'll concentrate on your main question.

Reset this PC gives you three options. The option ' Keep my files ' will mean any files you created using software you installed will be kept safely for future use.

However the purpose of this Reset is to do a near Image clean install of your PC (rather than a factory restore which would reset your computer to its out of the shop condition) to hopefully resolve whatever driver or possible corrupt file is affecting your File Explorer. Any apps you have installed like Microsoft Office 2016, cCleaner, etcetera will be lost during this process but can be reinstalled once the reset is complete; the files you created though (for example a word document) are preserved and can be accessed again once you reinstall Office.

Also, any settings you made for these APPS will be lost and you will need to reconfigure that after the reset.

When you first installed Windows 10 you be default had a few APPS all ready there on your Start Menu. Any other apps you would have chosen to add by installing new software or visiting Microsoft's Store and downloading free or paid for apps.

• The default APPS present on initial installation will be preserved during the reset.
  • The other apps you added later will be removed during the reset so will need to be reinstalled.

Here is a link to a page that uses screen shots and gives a simple explanation of each step of Reset this PC that hopefully will give you a clear understanding of what you will be doing:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-reset-your-pc-feature/

Remember the #1 rule of computing is to BACK UP files you would not want, or cannot afford to lose. So if you are not sure then make back ups of files you wish to be certain you will have after the reset. Save to a USB, CD / DVD, or some external drive.

Also, if there any special settings you made to APPS you found improved your computing experience, make a note of these before the reset as you will need to reset those settings.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32....Many thanks for the detailed explanation. I printed everything including the links you furnished for future reference. I may wait until next week to do the RESET this computer. The wife will be away, so she won't be nagging me about being on the computer so much. ha ha Until then I may keep trying to think of other things that are causing my problem. I guess what is confusing is that after the first half hour or so, the computer works great. It seems like that first half hour or so "there is something going on" that messes up the computer. But like I said before, I am not 100% sure of that yet. Will keep an eye on it till then. Thanks again for all your help. Mike

Ask a Question