File size of kernel.etl increasing drastically when pc is on after windows 10 update KB5000802

Reaction score
I have noticed that my C: drive size is decreasing drastically and found that file size of kernel.etl is increasing when pc is in use.
File size of this file is currently 56GB. Previously it was 70GB when I noticed firstly.

When first time I noticed that C: drive space is decreasing I cleared all temp files/catche etc. and restarted the pc and found that C: drive got the used space about 70GB. But again when in use size is decreasing every minute.

Also when I shutdown the pc there is no change in C: drive but when I restart the pc C: drive recovering the lost space.

Attaching screenshot of the same.

Please help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-04 105009.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-04 105009.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
My PC ( Acer desktop with uptodate W10 home) doesn't have a file called kernel.etl

Reaction score
My laptops do not have that one either, as a matter of fact, NONE of my systems have that (not even the Windows 7 systems).
However, etl-files are usually logfiles that can be seen in the Event viewer under Computer management. Might want to take a look there. Event logs can also be deleted through the viewer....

Reaction score
My laptops do not have that one either, as a matter of fact, NONE of my systems have that (not even the Windows 7 systems).
However, etl-files are usually logfiles that can be seen in the Event viewer under Computer management. Might want to take a look there. Event logs can also be deleted through the viewer....
Thanks for your revert.
I had deleted, but after restarting the pc this file is created again.

Reaction score
Just saw this, did a Search of the Internet and found possible reasons:

Reaction score
Thanks Bighorn for your hard work , but it was very annoying and had to be reset from the system image. Because to free up space, how many times can you restart your PC while working from home...

Ask a Question