Finally. . . Windows 10 November Update 21H2 has arrived

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It was suppose to be released on November 5th. Well, better late than never.
Just got the ISO downloaded and upon inspection found

Capture.JPG

So.... I guess technically it has been out for a while

Reaction score
Only showed up in WU on one of my computers, took about 10 -15 minutes from start/download to the reboot to update on that computer.

For my other two computers, I updated them via the MS update website. Both took over an hour to update, and rebooted 4 times.

All running as normal. No issues found yet.

Reaction score
I didn't wait for the update. Downloaded "Windows 10" from the site.
1637147177083.png

No detectable problems.
Good /bad/don't care news for you, Trouble. That irritating message has changed.
There is also a vague message that they are investigating the possibilities for other computers - mine included. I got quickly into the feedback and said my totally incompatible Laptop was running Windows 11 just great.

1637147113264.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got the ISO downloaded and upon inspection found

View attachment 13844

So.... I guess technically it has been out for a while
Since all new "feature updates" since build 2004 are nothing more than service packs, it is not surprising that the version shows 19041.
Its gonna be that way until Windows 10 will retire. I doubt that MS will change in the future anything at the core of Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it is not surprising that the version shows 19041.
Its gonna be that way until Windows 10 will retire.
Still the same (19041) on the Windows 11 ISO too, at least for the time being.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.844

Details for image : F:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
Name : Windows 11 Home
Description : Windows 11 Home
Size : 15,854,479,870 bytes

Index : 2
Name : Windows 11 Home N
Description : Windows 11 Home N
Size : 15,170,988,662 bytes

Index : 3
Name : Windows 11 Home Single Language
Description : Windows 11 Home Single Language
Size : 15,857,403,299 bytes

Index : 4
Name : Windows 11 Education
Description : Windows 11 Education
Size : 16,136,983,252 bytes

Index : 5
Name : Windows 11 Education N
Description : Windows 11 Education N
Size : 15,450,067,990 bytes

Index : 6
Name : Windows 11 Pro
Description : Windows 11 Pro
Size : 16,134,043,048 bytes

Index : 7
Name : Windows 11 Pro N
Description : Windows 11 Pro N
Size : 15,447,756,461 bytes

Index : 8
Name : Windows 11 Pro Education
Description : Windows 11 Pro Education
Size : 16,136,934,462 bytes

Index : 9
Name : Windows 11 Pro Education N
Description : Windows 11 Pro Education N
Size : 15,450,018,300 bytes

Index : 10
Name : Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Description : Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
Size : 16,136,958,857 bytes

Index : 11
Name : Windows 11 Pro N for Workstations
Description : Windows 11 Pro N for Workstations
Size : 15,450,043,145 bytes

Reaction score
I can see I went down a different road. I took the offer of the update, not the ISo. I did nothing but download the *.exe. The computer did the rest.

1637161101296.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Whatever works and you're comfortable with.

Pretty sure that the processes are similar one is manual the other semi-automatic.
The files needed to successfully install are downloaded, prepared in some format or other, applied and after a while voilà... a finished product.

Sort of like deciding whether to go out to eat or preparing your dinner at home.
I guess some of us prefer creating and then cleaning up our own mess

Reaction score
Yeah. Well, I have the preceding image if I want to clean up. For the moment, I am ok with the way windows 1o works. Also a little (?) preoccupied with playing with Windows 11
Certainly haven't bothered with Rufus and the like, for a while. Just make a safe copy of an Iso and mount it - run it from there.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just make a safe copy of an Iso and mount it - run it from there.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but....
In order to do that you need a system, with an operating system installed, that will actually boot and run.
"Rufus and the like" are all about creating bootable installation media for instances where none of the above conditions exists.
Boot a system with a brand new, blank hard disk. Boot a system to repair an existing install that for some reason will not boot on its' own.

Reaction score
Thst is pretty much taken care of with a macrium boot usb and a selection of macrium images. Mine, stored, go back as far as windows 8

Reaction score
more info about the November update:

interesting read, especially the passage about the new yearly release of new feature updates for windows 10

Reaction score
I've only one complaint about the installation. All but one machine was an update install from within Windows. The machine I did a fresh install to was forcing the use of a MS account. After bitching and moaning for about two minutes I gave in and used my account. I didn't want the machine linked to an account at all. But then I gave in and used one.

The next step was requiring the use of a pin. I've already gone down that avenue before and used a pin. It wasn't long the pin quit working and the regular login was required to activate the pin again. That makes the pin useless in my opinion. I was not setting a pin period for this machine. At this moment I was furious and pressed the power button.

After stepping away from the machine for a few minutes. I thought about disconnecting the Ethernet cable. Turning the PC back on the started back nearly the same location. Except this time it allowed a local login. I was happy once more until I discovered MS had setup two accounts. It only took a minute to remove the MS account. But it should never have been created in the first place, because I never finished the setup.

Aside from the unnecessary headache above. Everything went smoothly on several machines.

Reaction score
21H2 has finally arrived on my Laptop via Windows Update. Downloading it now. Made a backup yesterday just in case.
I wonder if it will stay on 1348 or start as 19044.1288 as the ISO does.. going to know soon

Well, here is the answer: it stayed on 1348 and is now showing 19044.1348 instead of 19043.1348.
Download and install took only 12 minutes. I guess I had the new one already on the laptop, just not "activated" yet, which shows the 21H2 being just a service pack again. I have the feeling that it will continue until the end of Windows 10

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've only one complaint about the installation. All but one machine was an update install from within Windows. The machine I did a fresh install to was forcing the use of a MS account. After bitching and moaning for about two minutes I gave in and used my account. I didn't want the machine linked to an account at all. But then I gave in and used one.

The next step was requiring the use of a pin. I've already gone down that avenue before and used a pin. It wasn't long the pin quit working and the regular login was required to activate the pin again. That makes the pin useless in my opinion. I was not setting a pin period for this machine. At this moment I was furious and pressed the power button.

After stepping away from the machine for a few minutes. I thought about disconnecting the Ethernet cable. Turning the PC back on the started back nearly the same location. Except this time it allowed a local login. I was happy once more until I discovered MS had setup two accounts. It only took a minute to remove the MS account. But it should never have been created in the first place, because I never finished the setup.

Aside from the unnecessary headache above. Everything went smoothly on several machines
Without making a fresh install, Cliff, I am certain that I was offered the option to make an “offline” account. This would be my default, as I always want to put in my own username, not that decided by theMS robot.. I then, later, sign in with my Microsoft account.
For the pin! I use the same as I have used for the standard login. Saves an added burden on my memory. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
They changed it. Local account was not available while performing a clean install and connected to the Internet. For a few years the option was hidden in a side link. That link is now gone.

The other machines already had an account. So upgrading doesn't need to make an account.

To be honest the only reason I was performing a clean install. The machine had a 32bit OS on it. I wanted a 64bit OS installed.

Reaction score
OK. I have been relying on restoring images for a few months, so was not aware of the change..

I googed and found this:

It seems to agree with my thoughts? By the way, I am using Pro. Further down the page of the link, you can read regarding the availability of a local account

Last edited:

Ask a Question