Freezes up and Blue screen.

BML

Reaction score
I had a computer man in to install Windows 10 and remove Windows 7 and I wish I had never done it. I can be writing away and then all of a sudden it freezes and comes up with a couple of pop ups before waking up again. Occasionally the computer freezes solid and I have to manually switch it off. I have the computer man coming again tomorrow which will cost me more money but I'm getting close to just giving up and buying an Apple.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hang in there.
It's probably either a power configuration problem or else a hardware driver issue. If he can't fix it then you might want to consider locating a new "computer man".
IF we can help any further with your problem, please post back, but.....
Include some specifics as to your computer.
Manufacturer's name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number), etc., etc.

BML

Reaction score
My computer person called today but we were stuffed by an organisation as incompetent as Windows. Of course I mean B.T who for the second time this week could not supply access to the Internet. One wonders if they are doing it deliberately to "encourage" us to go up market into fibre. Please tell me if you really need the full model number because at 80 I'm not athletic enough to creep underneath the table. By the way, the following message which comes up every so often just came up again and I have no idea what it indicates.
"Display driver stopped responding" etc
upload_2016-1-15_19-1-46.png

Reaction score
Does your PC have a dedicated graphics card or is it using the onboard graphics?

BML

Reaction score
I apologise for my lack of knowledge but could you please tell me how I can find out if my PC has a dedicated graphics card or is it using the onboard graphics? Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This, I believe, is the Motherboard installed in your computer....

Capture.JPG

As you can see there are, a 15 PIN VGA connector, a DVI connector and what appears to be a HDMI connector. If your monitor cable is plugged into either of these then you are using the On Board integrated GPU.
IF not then your monitor will probably be plugged into a port that is part of the PCIe card that you may or may not have installed which would mean that the cable is connected just below those ports you see that support your on-board sound / speaker connectors.

BML

Reaction score
Yet again I do apologise but as far as I'm concerned these explanations could be in Cantonese. Having said that I did have a passing acquaintance with Cantonese when I was in China some fifty years ago. Regrettably I understand neither the explanations or Cantonese now so I will have to leave it until the computer man visits me next week but thank you very much for trying to help a thicko who naively thought that one just switched a PC on and one did not need to know how its innards worked.

BML

Reaction score
In answer to the question, "Does your PC have a dedicated graphics card or is it using the onboard graphics?" The ASRock Forum "Replied, integrated graphics and not dedicated". I hope that makes sense.

Reaction score
Hang in there.
It's probably either a power configuration problem or else a hardware driver issue. If he can't fix it then you might want to consider locating a new "computer man".
IF we can help any further with your problem, please post back, but.....
Include some specifics as to your computer.
Manufacturer's name, Model Name, Model Number (complete model number), etc., etc.

BML

Reaction score
Its hardly fair to say, "If he can't fix it" Its been practically impossible to get onto the computer for a week with the rubbish Internet service BT have been giving. Another effort will be made next Wednesday.

BML

Reaction score
I had a session today with the computer man:
Intel Rapid Start Driver Installed - Improves Start up Performance of the System
Intel Management Engine Driver & Intel Chipset Driver Updated - Core Intel Chip Management Drivers were old versions. These have been updated to Win10 Specific Drivers.

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Updated - These were very old Windows versions, carried over I suspect from the Win7 Upgrade and never Auto-Updated for Win10 these have now been updated and they include drivers for the Audio Inputs on the Back of PC, it's very possible the cassette player may now work if you plug it into the right input on the back of the system, PINK or BLACK I believe, however, this may require hands on configuration and changes to be made, but now this is updated I see no real reason why we shouldn't be able to get that working, if it doesn't work when you try then we can look at this together next week because it will likely be a simple setting somewhere which needs to be turned on or such like, as per advise from Forums you sent recently.

RealTek LAN Drivers Updated - these are the Drivers for the Network Card which connects to the Router via the yellow cable, there was a newer version so this was updated.

Intel VGA Graphics Driver - No Windows 10 Drivers for this version of Grpahics Cards available as yet, as I mentioned previous, Vendors are playing catch-up with Microsoft and trying to get drivers delivered to users, we can only hope a true Windows 10 Driver for this comes in due course, for now however, there was an updated Win8.1 version of the Driver so I have applied this update, this might now have fixed the Graphics Drivers Warning you've been getting, it may not, we may well have to await further drivers from Intel or try some other Configurations for the Graphics and Display.. Keep me posted on this one, this was something I was more keen to see eliminated.

SMBus Controller Updated - These drivers were older Win8.1 Drivers and have been updated for Win10.

Memory Controller Drivers Updated - again, older drivers updated to latest version for Win10.

A Disk Cleanup was also performed to clean things up fully after the recent 1511 10586 November Update we applied the other week, this has cleaned up the older Windows Installation and all the Upgrade Files (The Windows 10 Install DVD in effect) from your Hard Disk Drive, thus freeing up 19GB of Space :)

I also removed a few annoying and unwanted Windows 10 Apps which the system installs by default, just to do some housekeeping and remove anything that likely may cause any confusion.

Hopefully with all these updated drivers the system is now more stable for you and performance somewhat improved, keep me posted on things in the coming days as you use it, and any issues we can look at sometime next week when we get together, along with cassette player if your are still not able to get it working yourself, and also work through your list of Questions from the Word Doc.

I got back on the computer to work on a long document and as is my custom when I started to get bored I had a go on Solitaire and the screen froze. When that came back I thought I needed some exercise so down on my knees I went to connect the cassette in again and it still doesn't work although it did prior to the move to Windows 10.

Quite frankly although these are only niggling problems they are sufficient to make me seriously go back to Windows 7. I'm quite fed up with the whole thing.

BML

Reaction score
Yesterday I had another freeze up and the following came up.
upload_2016-1-27_11-19-15.png

The computer man told me that shows that Windows are in fact using Win8 Graphics Drivers and not ones for Win10, which of course do not yet exist. Does Microsoft ever bother to read the comments on this forum and if so when are they going to do something about out of date Drivers?

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-27_11-19-3.png
    upload_2016-1-27_11-19-3.png
    27 KB · Views: 447

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not really up to Microsoft to upgrade drivers for third party hardware.
It's up to the device manufacturer, in this case Intel to upgrade their driver, so it will work with Windows 10.

BML

Reaction score
This seems to me to be as absurd as a car manufacturer building a car body, sticking an engine into it and then placing a carburettor or two onto the engine and when it won't fire up saying, "nothing to do with me mate. I have never heard anything so nonsensical.

BML

Reaction score
I keyed “Win8 Graphics Drivers” into the Internet and the following came up.

“Windows comes with drivers for many devices, such as printers, displays, keyboards, and TVs. A driver is software that a device uses to work with your PC. Every device needs a driver to work with your PC. So, in many cases, you can plug in a device, and it’ll work automatically.”

I read the above as Microsoft accepting a responsibility to sort out the Driver question. This seems to me to be as absurd as a car manufacturer building a car body, sticking an engine into it and then placing a carburettor or two onto the engine and when it won't fire up saying, "nothing to do with me mate. I have never heard anything so nonsensical.

I have just read that Microsoft claim to have to have installed 67,000,000 copies of Windows 10. Another report claims the figure is 75,000,000 Are all of those computer owners supposed to resolve any Driver problems they face?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have just read that Microsoft claim to have to have installed 67,000,000 copies of Windows 10. Another report claims the figure is 75,000,000 Are all of those computer owners supposed to resolve any Driver problems they face?
Yes.
While Windows 10 (Microsoft) is very robust and handles some hardware device drivers very well. There are many instances in which it does not provide a driver or the driver that it does supply is far less than what might be considered optimal for the particular piece of hardware.
Your analogy of the automobile manufacturer doesn't stand up to any logical test. You're talking about hardware across the board. Microsoft (with only one or two notable exceptions) is a Software Manufacturer.
Although if there was a problem with the carburetor's needle valve and seat or float it might be more a problem for Holley or Weber or whoever the carburetor manufacturer was more so than the automobile manufacturer.
There are webpages full of issues with "Intel HD Graphics Driver Windows 10 crashing" just google it.

BML

Reaction score
Trouble appears to be stating that every one of the 75,000,000 computer users who accepted Windows 10 should accept responsibility for sorting out any of the drivers that they will require. This suggests that whatever problems Windows 10 may present is also the new users responsibility which is patiently absurd.

He states that “While Windows 10 (Microsoft) is very robust and handles some hardware device drivers very well. There are many instances in which it does not provide a driver or the driver that it does supply is far less than what might be considered optimal for the particular piece of hardware.”

This statement appears to support Trouble's first statement the logical conclusion of which suggests that whatever problems Windows 10 may present is the new users responsibility to resolve which is patiently absurd.

Trouble'stated, “Your analogy of the automobile manufacturer doesn't stand up to any logical test.”

Trouble failed to state what logic he was referring to, Deductive or Inductive.

Trouble stated “You're talking about hardware across the board. Microsoft (with only one or two notable exceptions) is a Software Manufacturer.”

For the purposes of my complaint it matters not what Microsoft manufacture.

Trouble stated “Although if there was a problem with the carburettor’s needle valve and seat or float it might be more a problem for Holley or Weber or whoever the carburettor manufacturer was more so than the automobile manufacturer.”

Were I to be inclined to buy a vehicle that uses such carburettor’s I would not expect to pursue those manufacturers. If there was a fault whether it be carburation or electronics I would pursue the manufacturer of the vehicle in the same way if a wheel fell off.

Trouble stated “There are webpages full of issues with "Intel HD Graphics Driver Windows 10 crashing" just google it.”

I took your advice to, “just google “Intel HD Graphics Driver Windows 10 crashing.”

The first reply I found was, “Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.”

In other words it looks as though they are smartly passing the buck back to Microsoft.

In conclusion I use a computer because of the facilities that it offers me such as a wonderful spell check which compensates for my dyslexia and the Navigation facility which helps me to find detail when I need to. I resent having to spend time attempting to get the software to do what it’s supposed to and consider that I was sold a pup.

Having said the above I must be honest and show the last paragraph I received as a reply when I keyed in“Intel HD Graphics Driver Windows 10 crashing.”

However, you could try uninstalling current graphics driver and installing this Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

If issue persists try uninstalling current and installingDownload Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

I am not competent to deal with the above but I know a very good man who is and I will ask him to handle it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first reply I found was, “Intel provides generic versions of drivers for general purposes. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to your driver. Intel recommends you contact your computer manufacturer for the latest system specific updates and technical support information.”

In other words it looks as though they are smartly passing the buck back to Microsoft.
Sorry..... that would be incorrect.
Microsoft is not your computer manufacturer unless you are using one of their new "Surface" products.
Then and only then would they be the ones responsible for making sure your hardware device drivers were up to date and functioning properly..

BML

Reaction score
Fair point, your more wide awake than I am so its time for my good night Coco. You appear to be saying that Intel assume that it's only newly sold computers having problems. Having said that I fail to see how Microsoft can only be responsible for driver problems if they came from a "Surface" product or even software installed in new computers for sale. Microsoft surely must have some responsibility for software they produce such as Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You appear to be saying that Intel assume that it's only newly sold computers having problems
I'm not sure that Intel necessarily "assumes" anything, other than, that they make chipsets and those chipsets are incorporated into a multitude of other hardware products from OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) like Dell, HP, and a host of others, on down to motherboard manufacturers such as ASUS, Gigabyte, etc.
AND
That those manufacturers do, in some instances tweak those chipset so that they become in a sense "proprietary" to that manufacturer, after which Intel assumes no further responsibility for providing device drivers that may or may not have been "tweaked" after market. Hence their reporting of providing "generic drivers". Those would be their own drivers for their chipsets that are build into their own motherboards.

It does provide an excellent platform for a circle of finger-pointing, but not much in the way of an actual resolution.

I have a very nice USB Wireless network adapter manufactured by Linksys / Cisco.
It works great with Windows 7, but generates Blue Screens on Windows 8 and 8.1 and will not even work at all on Windows 10.
That is not Microsoft's fault.
It's older, and the manufacturer would much rather sell me a new one, than provide a working driver for Windows 10 that would allow me to continue to use it.

Ask a Question