SOLVED Frustrating Preview Windows

Reaction score
Everyone knows about the Window previews introduced with Aero when you hover over the task bar. I have (inadvertently) found ANOTHER ONE. Through some unknown typo, I have activated a permanent preview pane of ALL active windows on right side of my desktop. It seems I cannot delete them, do not know how to turn off feature (I HATE IT). On rt side of desktop they will NOT overlap, however I can move them elsewhere and they will overlap. I cannot even move them off of the desktop, they simply return and any new windows opened simply make things worse.

I use the rt side of my desktop for a live system monitor and these are definitely IN THE WAY. A new one opens with each app or new window and only close when the window closes. Browser Windows are NOT Grouped. I can find nothing through rt click on taskbar that affects this. All new windows open a preview pane on rt. side of desktop, top down. My system restore is too new (My error, I waited too long thinking I could fix this).

I am quite comfortable with Registry edits if that is what it takes to remove this. I just have not been able to find it.

HEEEEELP please.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Open File Explorer then select View tab
  • Now at top left next to File you ought to see Preview pane. Click it to toggle on or off.

Sample image to show you what I mean

Preview pane.png
  • The default keys for this is Alt + P to turn on or off as an alternate method.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you Regedit32; but that ONLY controls the file preview in File Explorer. Those frustrating previews of all open windows are STILL there after a cold reboot. This problem is at a different level.

Reaction score
Solved. Another forum asked me to send a screen shot, It was an accidentally activated Gadget that I didn't know I had, much less had activated.

Ask a Question