Games crash my computer

Reaction score
Hello. I bought a new custom computer almost two years ago (custom desktop windows 10 professional, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics). At first it worked perfectly, except one or two games would crash it. This problem has gotten progressively worse, and now any game will crash it. I have spent hundred of hours with microsoft techs. They installed a custom windows. This worked for a while, but then the problem came back even worse. I installed a SSD as a boot drive, to make a new version of windows, but that didn't work. It breaks my computer, and I have to roll back or reinstall the video driver to get it right again. Is there a way to fix this? Which part is it? Can I replace it? Will a video card fix it? Any help you could give me on this would be MASSIVELY appreciated. I bought it less than two years ago, and now it's garbage. :(... THANKS!

Reaction score
Perhaps putting the complete spec on here would enable some help. Mobo, PSU, CPU, amount and speed of memory etc.

Reaction score
The component that games stress more than any other is the graphics card, so that's where I'd start looking. It could be the card itself but it's more usually the driver. Next time you do a clean install of Windows (and make sure it's completely clean, delete all existing UEFI partitions for example) allow Windows Update to install all the drivers that it can, only manually install drivers for devices that Windows Update doesn't recognise. See how it goes in that state. If games still crash then visit the AMD driver support site and download the latest driver for your graphics card and OS. If it still crashes with that driver then I would start to suspect the card itself.

When you say that it 'crashes', how does it crash? Does it BSOD (in which case upload the memory dump, either here or too the cloud if it's too large)? It's also worth exporting the Application and System logs to an evtx file and uploaing those to here.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At first it worked perfectly, except one or two games would crash it.
That should have been an alert.
This problem has gotten progressively worse
OK... not too surprising
and now any game will crash it
I agree with what the other two members have said above.
More details regarding specs on the machine might be helpful, but...
It might be that you have and have had a less than optimal component all along and it's progressively gotten worse.

Have you tested the memory with memtest86?
Have you stress tested with something like Prime95?

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like a hardware issue. First I'd reset the cmos. Then like Trouble recommended, check your ram with memtest86 and maybe run prime95 to stress the cpu and heaven benchmark to stress the graphics. I'd also monitor cpu and gpu tempuratures while running prime95 and heaven.

Reaction score
W10 runs ok in 8GB of memory for mots things but does it run reliably in 8GB for games?

Reaction score
For starters - Replace thermal paste on CPU and clean out all dust, including the power supply intake on the bottom...

Ask a Question