Getting back my backup

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am really frustrated with my problem.

Several years ago I used an external hard drive as my backup, using backup software. I don’t have that computer anymore, nor do I recall the name of the software. I want to see what's on the external HD. Any time that I hook it up to my OS10 laptop, it wants to format the external HD.

My question is … how can I get the photos off the external HD? I’m assuming they’re compressed, but I can’t even get file names off the external HD. HELP!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sorry, I don't have anything much to offer in the way of a solution, but.....
The last time, I had anything like that happen, was due to the fact that the user had attached the backup drive to a Apple "MAC" machine for some reason and afterwards that seemed to have some impact on its' usability in Windows.
I had to purchase a product called Mac Drive 9 to rescue the files on the drive for her, so.....
IF you have any reason to suspect that some other operating system (Linux or MAC) may have in some way impacted the Master Boot Record or the File Allocation Table, that might be an avenue to explore.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am really frustrated with my problem.

Several years ago I used an external hard drive as my backup, using backup software. I don’t have that computer anymore, nor do I recall the name of the software. I want to see what's on the external HD. Any time that I hook it up to my OS10 laptop, it wants to format the external HD.

My question is … how can I get the photos off the external HD? I’m assuming they’re compressed, but I can’t even get file names off the external HD. HELP!
If the backup software used to make the backups used a proprietary method (which would need that software to read it), instead of simply copying of the backupped material directly without changing it, then I think you are stuck.

Reaction score
have you checked with the external connected,
in Disk Management ?
right click Start, click on Disk Management

does your external show up as a Disk, with partitions listed ?
(see attached for my external)

External 01.jpg

Reaction score
If the backup software used to make the backups used a proprietary method (which would need that software to read it), instead of simply copying of the backupped material directly without changing it, then I think you are stuck.

Undoubtedly somewhere there is a company who specializes in recovering ancient backups and has the software to do it...problem is to find them and then to pay for the service.

Ask a Question