GPU/Driver problem

Reaction score
I am seeking assistance to resolve an ongoing problem with the functioning of the GPU installed in my PC.

History

The desktop PC was built in July 2015 and has never ceased to crash in one way or another when drivers installed since this time I have used the most updated version of DDU software to uninstall drivers on each occasion. Initially, I suspected the problem to be created by windows updates only but later found this not to be the case. Windows updates now manually disabled and blocked.

Technical data

Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0

CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHz

RAM: 1866 DDR3 – 32 GB

GPU: NVIDA GrForce GTX 750Ti

Default Search engine: Firefox 68.0 (32 Bit)

Drivers; NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti (recent as listed below)

Version: 26.21.14.3136 – date 2019-07-03 (431.36) & (416.81)

The following driver appears to have been the best in terms of performance and longevity over the past two weeks

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti

Driver Provider: NVIDIA

Driver Date: 2018-09-05

Driver Version: 24.21.13.9924

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Provider

Reaction score
500W, that should be enough but both the CPU and GPU together run at 425W's, do you have other devices plugged in that may also be drawing a lot of power?.

Power draw for the GTX 750TI is a minimum of 300W and the TDP for the FX8350 is 125W:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/fx-8350 :)

Can you possibly borrow a different higher rated PSU from someone somewhere?. ;) That might help determine if it is indeed the PSU which I suspect it may well be as with both of those devices running; you only have another 75W left to run everything else?. :confused:

Reaction score
No Wolfie. 300 watts is what's recommended for a 750ti (that's including the rest of the system). According to Toms Hardware , the peak wattage for a 750ti is 68 Watts. If there isn't a supplemental power slot, the PCIe slot only provides 75 watts. Also the TDP isn't power draw, it's heat dissipation. His whole system would easily run on a 350 watt PSU provided it was a quality one.

Op, can you be specific as to what brand the 750ti is? I wouldn't rule out a faulty video card at this point.

Reaction score
500W, that should be enough but both the CPU and GPU together run at 425W's, do you have other devices plugged in that may also be drawing a lot of power?.

Power draw for the GTX 750TI is a minimum of 300W and the TDP for the FX8350 is 125W:

Can you possibly borrow a different higher rated PSU from someone somewhere?. ;) That might help determine if it is indeed the PSU which I suspect it may well be as with both of those devices running; you only have another 75W left to run everything else?. :confused:

Hi Wol

Hi Wolfie, Than you for your interest in resolving my frustrating problem.
I acknowledge your concern regarding the possibility of inadequate power and therefore include the following information to provide you with all other installed power-consuming components which are as follows:
1.) Cooler Master Hyper 212X CPU cooler fan.
2.) 5 x 120mm case fans ( 2 supply and 3 extracting)
3.) 1 x 125 GB SSD
4.) 1 x 250 GB SSD
5.) 2 x 1TB HDD
6.) 1 x Portable Trancend CD/DVD player ( not currently connected.
As I reside in a tropical climate I am concerned about cooling possibly to the extent of overcooling but this does not do any harm.
It is presently mid-winter and the temperature tomorrow is 13 degrees C (min) and 28 degrees (max)
And that's it.

Reaction score
Hi Wibri,

the older FX CPU's from AMD do draw some power too. As @Bighorn pointed out, the GPU should be drawing around 60W, can you also try borrowing a GPU for 5 minutes from a friend to test the GPU side of things out as that may be your problem, the best thing I can think of is overall power draw being the culprit, this isn't to say that the GPU isn't defective!.

On top of what you added, don't forget the motherboard, memory, keyboard and mouse, they all draw power too!.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power Just a small insight as to how TDP can have an effect on your PC. :)

Reaction score
Another thought, have you checked the CPU thermal paste at all?, it may be dried up!. Also, have you updated the BIOS for your mobo at all?, that may also help solve the problem if the other suggestions don't work for you. :)

Ask a Question