GPU Nightmare

Reaction score
Hello Windows 10 Forum Guru's and Experts!

I'm dying here.

There is an incessant beep coming from my MoBo and it's driving me mad.

When my GPU is plugged in, I can't even boot into windows.

And then there't that beeping. Did I mention that?

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
If the beeping stops when you take the card out. There is likely something wrong with the card. If that is the case you will need to get another card. Do you have another card you can use to test with before purchasing one?

Reaction score
If the beeping stops when you take the card out. There is likely something wrong with the card. If that is the case you will need to get another card. Do you have another card you can use to test with before purchasing one?
The beeping HAD stopped. I plugged it back in (Power cables, same as before) and it started again, but this time the beeping hasn't stopped even though the card has no power leading to it

Reaction score
A card will draw power from both motherboard and the additional power connector. And even if the card didn't draw power, the electronics can still cause problems for the rest of the components. Especially in the event something has shorted on the card.

If an inserted card has issues, it can prevent communication on the PCIe bus completely. When this happens the motherboard will fail an initial system check. Which in turn prevents booting, and causes beep codes as you are hearing.

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like something is physically wrong with the video card. Like clifford said, you might want to try another card or use the onboard video (if your system has it) to verify that's the issue. What video card is it, and is it still under warranty?

Reaction score
here's where I am now.

When I plug my card back in, the beeping stops, but I get an error about repairing the boot, it attempts and fails and tells me to shut it down, attempted a system restore that failed. If I tell it to ignore that and boot I get my windows logo then get a black screen that never goes to my login page.

After unplugging and plugging my card back in, the beeping started again.

I removed my card, plugged in my studio card. The beeping is still happening but I am using it to write this message.

Its a much weaker card, does not use any additional power from the PSU either but is also working with no drivers

Reaction score
For clarification, you are powering down the machine to change cards?

Just remember that signs to problems may not be so easily interpreted. By that: I mean it may not be the GPU at fault, even though signs are pointing to a faulty GPU. Other hardware in the system could be causing issues with GPU drivers operating the card.

- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -
I don't think the following will help, but it is worth a thought.

One of the biggest problems I find in a system are caused by bad memory modules. Or at least trashy connections between the modules and motherboard. There are occasional problems in SATA connections as well. My sister even had a SATA connector catch fire due to bad connection in power pin. But usually it is bad data transfer that is problematic.

It may be time to unplug everything in your system and re-seat their connections. I'm not suggesting this is a fix all. But if you are suffering from bad data integrity, it could help.

Reaction score
For clarification, you are powering down the machine to change cards?

Just remember that signs to problems may not be so easily interpreted. By that: I mean it may not be the GPU at fault, even though signs are pointing to a faulty GPU. Other hardware in the system could be causing issues with GPU drivers operating the card.

- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -
I don't think the following will help, but it is worth a thought.

One of the biggest problems I find in a system are caused by bad memory modules. Or at least trashy connections between the modules and motherboard. There are occasional problems in SATA connections as well. My sister even had a SATA connector catch fire due to bad connection in power pin. But usually it is bad data transfer that is problematic.

It may be time to unplug everything in your system and re-seat their connections. I'm not suggesting this is a fix all. But if you are suffering from bad data integrity, it could help.
Yes I am powering it down, and this hospital monitor like beep and the constant on and off with different iterations is contributing to my misery LOL!

I will do that.

I assumed it might be my card because on occassion my screen would randomly black out, or give me a weird pinstripe and a skipping sound I would be forced to hit the reset button.

Today after booting up I got a black screen. Followed by beeping on reboot, then a loading to a black screen no log in, to another reboot no beeping but still no login screen.

So I opened her up and went at her with a bicycle pump to get rid of most of the dust, and used a fine combed brush for the rest.

After riding myself of static, came and booted her back up to this infernal beeping, and I have used my native card for this machine for a total of 30 seconds today.

Yesterday I was working just fine. This is also a first.

I will try that, and make an effort to get thermal paste for the heat sink on the cpu and gpu and see how it goes.

Still open to other suggestions, and thanks so far

My native card is an R9 270x btw

Ask a Question