Radeon 4350 driver issue again

Reaction score
Hi, guys.

Old tower died, so I got a nice refurbished one with a slick video card, supposed to support four different types of connections. Had four of one connection that fits no cable I have ever seen -- looks like an HDMI port with one side lopped off straight up and down, only bevels on one side.

So, since that card had no way to connect to my monitor, I put in my Radeon 4350 card from my old tower. Windows 10 on the new machine insists that the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, which has no idea of the chipset or card type, is the best driver for the card.

I found what purported to be Windows 10 drivers for the card, downloaded the tool. I have ATI Catalyst on here now, but when I try and install drivers, I get the same thing, the 13-year-old basic driver is all it will find. And the old driver won't drive my monitor at its 1920x1080 resolution.

If I try to manually install the new driver, the system wants an .inf file for it, and I have no idea where this installer would have installed such a file, or how to point to it.

The best fix will be to get the supplier to give me the promised display card, but in the meantime I'd like to get this card working. Any thoughts?

-Doug

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
looks like an HDMI port with one side lopped off straight up and down, only bevels on one side.
That's a display port and is very common on many cards.
I have the same situation, only with an nVidia card so I just bought a cable that is display port on one end and hdmi on the other, works fine.

Reaction score
Looks like I have the same problem. I just re-installed W10 on my 2009 DEL 545 Desktop. In Device Manager there are errors noted alongside the Display adapter and also USB root hubs. I have the ATI Radeon 4350 Graphics board installed.
If I go to the AMD website it says that's not supported in W10. Fair enough, it's an old product. I tried to download Catalyst and the latest drivers (for W8.1) but it loaded everything except the driver (Failed to install driver).
I guess the only answer is to either stick with the W10 drivers and lose some functionality, or upgrade my graphics card, or invest in a new Desktop PC. It's 11 years old so it's pushing it to work properly with W10.
Has anyone identified a more modern PCIe graphics card just in case I go down that route?
I could also usefully buy a PCIe USB3 board to upgrade the standard USB2 ports.

Reaction score
I'm surprised Windows won't install a generic driver that at least works without issues. The drivers from AMD no longer work with my ati hd 3200, but the drivers Windows supply work fine. If you're looking for a basic card for just normal web surfing, youtube playback, etc., a gt 1030 should work fine. That about $80-90 USD.

Reaction score
Thanks. There was no helpful advice on why the driver install failed. It could be that the driver already installed (8.970.100.9001) was later than the one AMD was trying to download (8.970.100.0000).
I think I'm pushing it with a 11 years old PC, After the GUI there will be further incompatability problems I'm sure. I'll save up for a new PC desktop box.

Reaction score
AMD's drivers didn't work for me with the hd 3200 at all. I do have an hd 4670 on an old emachines, and they will install, but they don't seem to be functional. I use the drivers Windows supplies and it seems to work fine.

Reaction score
Firstly, what is the model of your "nice refurbished one with a slick video card"? What is the video card's model? As its impossible for a new GPU to not be able to be connoted to a monitor new or old!

Reaction score
Firstly, what is the model of your "nice refurbished one with a slick video card"? What is the video card's model? As its impossible for a new GPU to not be able to be connoted to a monitor new or old!
It turns out my problems were with my DELL ST2210 monitor, not the GPU. Fortunately I had a TV set in my back bedroom with a VGA port so I'm using that for now. It all seems to work with the recommended Microsoft generic drivers etc so I'm happy with it. In the new year I'll buy a new desktop and dump my 12 years-old Inspiron 545. It has served me well.

Ask a Question