SOLVED Radeon 5770 displaying 'chinese' font in minimize/close/etc

Reaction score
I have been using Windows 10 for months now. It used to work fine, but recently when I hover over eg. the Minimize icon in a window, the popup displays what looks like Chinese characters. It isn't all the time, but gets worse the longer I use the PC after a reboot. Sometimes after just an hour or two of use, the PC is unusable because I can't read for example the pop-up under power: Shut Down/Reboot/whatever. It's all in some eastern language font when it started out as English.
I just installed the newest Catalyst suite today (Install Manager 8.0.916.0, Display Driver 15.200.1062.1004, Control Center 2015.0804.21.41908).
Not sure if this is a display driver problem or if I'm running out of resources? or what?

Reaction score
Update: I suspect it's a video driver problem, so I bit the bullet and bought a newer video card. I'll use it for a few days to see if the problem is solved or not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
What GPU did you end up purchasing as a replacement?
Just wondering if you switched from AMD to nVidia, as another AMD GPU would probably use the same drivers.

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
What GPU did you end up purchasing as a replacement?
Just wondering if you switched from AMD to nVidia, as another AMD GPU would probably use the same drivers.
I switched to NVidia because they have the best performance per watt right now, and I wanted to get away from AMD drivers. The GTX 960 is a big step up in performance, but runs as cool & quiet as the old HD 5770.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Keep us posted, how things progress and if the problems returns.
nVidia is definitely my personal preference. I haven't installed an AMD GPU since they were ATI.

Reaction score
Well it's been almost a month now with no problems. Video driver was the problem, now solved. I hated to replace two otherwise perfectly good video cards (one in each PC). This happens every time a new Windows version comes out: I have to abandon perfectly good hardware because they won't maintain the drivers. For example, when I upgraded to Windows 7 I had to throw out a perfectly good printer/fax/scanner.

Ask a Question