Gray Text

Reaction score
A lot of the text in my Windows 10 is gray and so light that I cannot see it! So far, I've managed to darken the text in some of the areas (Personalization). But even getting here, to post this, I can barely see the selection box and a lot of text is too light and gray. I don't have the display settings on bright, I've gone through the ClearType Text, twice and I've adjusted the gamma. Is there anyway to make the text/font black, not gray? I've uploaded a pic of what I see on this website.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 2,115

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Patti and welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid that, that is the default behavior for that particular area of text within the forum software and I am not sure if or how much it can be changed or modified.
I'll direct the owner's attention to your thread and see what he says, there may be a high contrast theme or something else applicable.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Patti,

It sounds like you've got some of the text colours from within Windows 10 sorted via the personalization settings, but on websites like this the colours are hard coded and won't normally respond to any outside settings.

For this website, it may be that a high contrast theme (as suggested by @Trouble) is the way forward, if there are problems for users. However, this will only solve the problem on this particular site.

What may be of more use is the Google High Contrast plugin for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/high-contrast/djcfdncoelnlbldjfhinnjlhdjlikmph?hl=en

If you make Chrome your default browser you can use the "increased contrast" option within that plugin, which will make all sites more readable,

I hope that helps! Please let us know what you think of it, as I'd like to make sure that this website is accessible if the tool fails to work - but it's better if we can suggest something that will solve problems on all sites.

Reaction score
This is CRAZY. I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM as Patti Lapp and found this thread searching Google on how to fix it. I appreciate the suggestion on how to solve this problem with the Google Chrome plugin BUT THIS IS A PROBLEM ON MY ENTIRE MACHINE... not just on the web. why would Windows use a gray font that is hard to see without letting ME have the power to change it. yes, at least it's charcoal gray but this is truly absurd.

Reaction score
Hi Patti,

It sounds like you've got some of the text colours from within Windows 10 sorted via the personalization settings, but on websites like this the colours are hard coded and won't normally respond to any outside settings.

For this website, it may be that a high contrast theme (as suggested by @Trouble) is the way forward, if there are problems for users. However, this will only solve the problem on this particular site.

What may be of more use is the Google High Contrast plugin for Chrome:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/high-contrast/djcfdncoelnlbldjfhinnjlhdjlikmph?hl=en

If you make Chrome your default browser you can use the "increased contrast" option within that plugin, which will make all sites more readable,

I hope that helps! Please let us know what you think of it, as I'd like to make sure that this website is accessible if the tool fails to work - but it's better if we can suggest something that will solve problems on all sites.

Honestly, i think it's an absurd suggestion that people having this issue have to view the web in High Contrast like a blind person as the suggested solution to this PROGRAMMING FLAW. Funny how the suggestion wasn't... "This is a legitimate concern and an oversight by the development team and we will send a suggestion to the Windows 10 Development team for a fix."

This is a problem on Microsoft Office 2013 and EVERY OTHER PLACE ON MY MACHINE where font occurs... including all Settings, Menus, etc. What moron thought a gray font would be a good idea. (it's a rhetorical question... hence the period and not a question mark)

Steven Williams aka SeacoastView

Reaction score
Hi Patti,

It sounds like you've got some of the text colours from within Windows 10 sorted via the personalization settings.. .

Admittedly, Maybe i am jumping the gun here a bit because i don't fully understand this statement in your answer. You said "It sounds like you've got some of the text colours from within Windows 10 sorted via the personalization settings"

I have NOT CHANGED ANY of the settings in my Personalization Settings so if this is a way to fix this... please forgive me and explain further. That doesn't change the fact that Charcoal Gray is an absolutely absurd default font color but perhaps you are suggesting it's fixable in the Windows 10 Personalization. If so, please explain HOW because it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Thank you.

Reaction score
HAllo!
I'm having the same problem as SeacoastView. Is there anyone that knows how to fix this? Its driving me insane and I cant see properly what I'm writing now even. IT not just on internet, but on my whole computer. Pliz!

Reaction score
I had the same,
fixt it in settings of windows, Then System-Display-advanced display settings- ClearType text:
follow instructions. First time nothings changed, I done it again and it was fixt!

Reaction score
Hi had the same broblem .Easy fix open your graphics control panel, select display,then colour settings and alter the gamma (up for lighter down for darker) easy.

Reaction score
Hi had the same broblem .Easy fix open your graphics control panel, select display,then colour settings and alter the gamma (up for lighter down for darker) easy.
Oooooooh my gosh... this is the first suggestion that actually improved this problem for me. i had no clue those settings EVEN EXISTED. Thank you, John. Oh my gosh... i'm still shaking my head.... and shocked this is the FIRST TIME i've even heard this suggestion!!

Reaction score

Hi, I just started having this problem today, and registered just to be able to tell you that this solution worked perfectly for me. Thanks, I don't know what suddenly caused the problem in the first place, but this answer should be stickied somewhere prominently. Get it together Windows!

Reaction score
Admittedly, Maybe i am jumping the gun here a bit because i don't fully understand this statement in your answer. You said "It sounds like you've got some of the text colours from within Windows 10 sorted via the personalization settings"

I have NOT CHANGED ANY of the settings in my Personalization Settings so if this is a way to fix this... please forgive me and explain further. That doesn't change the fact that Charcoal Gray is an absolutely absurd default font color but perhaps you are suggesting it's fixable in the Windows 10 Personalization. If so, please explain HOW because it's driving me absolutely nuts.

Thank you.

you cannot change them... you can add an extension from chrome for high contrast, it does work but is limited..from what i read, it is the way they want it, some call it a trend. it is said that it is healthier for us. the only thing i like about it is that someone behind me has a hard time reading the words because the fonts are so light in color to see at a distance, good privacy. wish you luck, i need it too. FellowThom

Ask a Question