Green Screen on playing videos

Reaction score
After I had upgraded to Windows 10 , I am constantly getting a green or black screen when ever I try to play any video. I get the sound but cannot see video. It has happened on YouTube , amazon videos and any other video I try to view.

What is a solution to rectify this?

Reaction score
After I had upgraded to Windows 10 , I am constantly getting a green or black screen when ever I try to play any video. I get the sound but cannot see video. It has happened on YouTube , amazon videos and any other video I try to view.

What is a solution to rectify this?
I have had the same problem with green screen videos in Edge and Firefox. Have updated drivers, flash, etc, but still no luck. I did find that when I have the green screen with audio playing, that if I click on the video progress bar all of a sudden the video is there. Hope this is figured out soon.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Tearing my hair out. I've had all the problems described - running W10 with AMD graphics. I upgraded 4/5 weeks ago so am out of the time frame to go back to W8.
The green screen issue has been getting steadily worse; at first I went to my computer shop and they installed the latest AMD drivers. This worked for a while but then al went green again so we uninstalled it. After that - for about 3 weeks I simply toggled between GPU/software rendering and that would solve the issue for a few days. I have followed forum advice on how to disable the acceleration feature but it simply won't appear. I've also tried to follow the advice on this forum to download the drivers for 8.1 (I've also tried for W10 again). I cannot do this as I get a series of error messages which include: you do not have the rights to access this app, this software will not run on your PC (laptop) and once or twice the Norton antivirus has automatically blocked the download as being unsafe. HELP

Reaction score
it's simple, I had the same issue recently, thought I needed to update drivers and download things but in reality, all you do on whatever video it is that you're trying to watch, left click on it, get to settings, a little box for adobe flash player will come up...if the box is checked for enable hardware acceleration, uncheck it then close. Refresh the page and hit play, should work.

PEACE!

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello @andyryking and welcome to the forum.
That would certainly be great if it were that easy.
Thanks for your input.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
it's simple, I had the same issue recently, thought I needed to update drivers and download things but in reality, all you do on whatever video it is that you're trying to watch, left click on it, get to settings, a little box for adobe flash player will come up...if the box is checked for enable hardware acceleration, uncheck it then close. Refresh the page and hit play, should work.

PEACE!
Thanks but I've seen this advice before and it doesn't seem to exist for me. When I right click on a video and enter into settings the only options I have are: local storage/camera/microphone/privacy??

Reaction score
Thanks but I've seen this advice before and it doesn't seem to exist for me. When I right click on a video and enter into settings the only options I have are: local storage/camera/microphone/privacy??

When you right click on the video, you see the part where it says settings? When you click on it, a little box should come up for adobe flash player, it's really small, there is a display screen, click on that and you should see the part I was referring to once you unmark that "enable hardware acceleration" then close and refresh the page, you should no longer see a green screen.

I have however noticed since upgrading to windows 10, my videos whether it be on youtube or Netflix, the video is lagging/buffering and not working properly even though I have the highest speed in internet so I really don't understand how to fix this issue completely.

Reaction score
Hi, me again.
Apologies but either I am being really thick but what you are describing just doesn't seem to exist. I right click on the video and a small box "Adobe Flash Player Settings" pops up. Within this I have 4 smaller symbols; "Camera", "Microphone", "Local Storage" and "Privacy". There are options within each of these to change settings but nothing about hardware acceleration.

Reaction score
I've been looking for a solution for a month now and have found one solution that works most of the time. When I get the green screen video, I go to

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

and play the test videos. Then, go back to the page with my green video and refresh. Usually, the video plays correctly. It's like the adobe page resets parameters properly to enable the video to play. This problem is so random, I'm really not sure that this is a true solution - but thought I'd throw it out there.

Reaction score
OK finally found a fix on another forum that worked. Install AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta Driver for Win 8.1. Here is the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx
Even though I had a "newer" driver, when I installed this one all my green screen problems went away (My Video is AMD HD6550D).

Ok, so I'm having the same issue, however I had Windows 7 before the upgrade to Win 10, not Win 8.1. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to install an older AMG GPU driver. I keep getting redirected to the newest Catalyst drivers and if I try to locate the old one, I don't see anything for my Radeon HD 6530D GPU.

Any help here? Has everything still been stable since going backwards with your drivers? Any more green screens?

Thx

Reaction score
Yes the AMD Catalyst 15.6 Beta driver actually installs driver version 14.502.1014.1001, and no green screens with this one. With Catalyst 15.10 you get driver version 15.200.1045.1 and green screens. The latest Catalyst (can't remember the number gave me 15.200.1062.1004 and it gave me green screens. The only one that works for my HD6550 is the 15.6 Beta.

Reaction score
Im also facing the same issue. IM using windows 10 with nvidia card. Lenovo y50 laptop nvidia 860m, 8GB DDR3 RAM

Reaction score
I may have a possible Solution for people with AMD GFX cards and the 15.10 beta driver and/or possible the older drivers. Nvidia Users should search for a similar solution.

Problem was that any Video suddenly was black with audio in the background. In any Media player. I suspected the driver and thus "updated" from the only driver availeble 15.7.1 to 15.10 beta, but the issue remained.

Requirement for this solution: Catalyst Control Center 15.10 Beta or 15.7.1
Drivers tested to function with this solution 15.10 and 15.7.1.

Press start(or windows icon) and type catalyst and select AMD catalyst control center OR:
Open Catalyst control center by right clicking anywhere on desktop and select AMD catalyst control center OR click on up arraw by the clock and right click on what appears to be a cherry icon (never worked out what it was) and select AMD Catalyst control center.

now in the right panel on the menu pick Video and then basic color.

As i figure it. 15.7.1 and 15.10 turns contrast to 0 and sets the setting to custom, I never had this problem in windows 7.

For possible solution

Select "Let Video Player Control Setting".

press "OK" button

You can fiddle around with the settings and see if any of that helps. On that page there should be a picture on the top that shows the current video setting. In Advanced Video Color you can select Demo mode and split screen that you should remember to turn off before leaving Catalyst Control Center.

I hope this helps some of you.

Reaction score
Im also facing the same issue. IM using windows 10 with nvidia card. Lenovo y50 laptop nvidia 860m, 8GB DDR3 RAM

SOLUTION ==>

I fixed my Lenovo Y50 nvidia card BSOD (Green screen) issue.

I just uninstalled Display drivers and installed latest BIOS from Lenovo website.
And then installed back the Latest Nvidia Drivers. It works fine now.

Reaction score
SOLUTION ==>

I fixed my Lenovo Y50 nvidia card BSOD (Green screen) issue.

I just uninstalled Display drivers and installed latest BIOS from Lenovo website.
And then installed back the Latest Nvidia Drivers. It works fine now.

Even after that i had many issues. Game started crash.

So I fixed this now finanlly, posting comments here after playing many games.

1. Uninstalled nvidia new drivers,
2. run DDU to clean nvidia drivers.
3. And the installed older nvidia drivers from here https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2547/nvidia-forceware-355-98-win-10-64-bit/

I have even posted the same feedback on nvidia forums.

Ask a Question