Group Policy Client Service Notification and Google Crashes

Reaction score
Earlier this month, I had to reset my computer and everything on it was gone except documents and pictures. I have reinstalled everything and have had problems since. Google closes many times a day. I have FireFox also and it doesn't crash, but sometimes I can't connect to the internet and sometimes I can't access my files. I have read fixes here and tried some, but nothing is working. Should I uninstall Google and reinstall it or is there something else I can do. Any advice is appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimiko,

Welcome to the forum.

If I am understanding your post correctly, when you attempt to open Google Chrome you receive a Windows Error message along the lines of Windows failed to connect to the Group Policy Client Service.

If that is correct its probably not a Google Chrome issue at all and reinstalling Chrome may not resolve anything, You could try uninstalling Chrome then reinstalling it to see whether the situation resolves itself as that won't take too long to do and even if it does not help, it at least will rule that out of the equation per se.

Given you had to reset your computer its possible security software is blocking access, or that your Registry has become corrupted. We can guide you through the various Registry keys to check on that, but first, try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it.

Also, if you can confirm whether my interpretation of your post is accurate re the error message occurring when attempting to run Google Chrome.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimiko,

Welcome to the forum.

If I am understanding your post correctly, when you attempt to open Google Chrome you receive a Windows Error message along the lines of Windows failed to connect to the Group Policy Client Service.

If that is correct its probably not a Google Chrome issue at all and reinstalling Chrome may not resolve anything, You could try uninstalling Chrome then reinstalling it to see whether the situation resolves itself as that won't take too long to do and even if it does not help, it at least will rule that out of the equation per se.

Given you had to reset your computer its possible security software is blocking access, or that your Registry has become corrupted. We can guide you through the various Registry keys to check on that, but first, try uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it.

Also, if you can confirm whether my interpretation of your post is accurate re the error message occurring when attempting to run Google Chrome.

Regards,

Regedit32

Thank you for the welcome and reply. I tried to uninstall Google Chrome and my computer wouldn't let me.

I am using Windows10. I get this message when I first log on to the computer. I use Kaspersky AV software. I reinstalled that on July 23 and things seemed to get worse. I reinstalled other programs in the two weeks prior to that. I can get on IE and FF fine. No issues there. Do you think I should go with reinstalling Kaspersky, Google or do you think it's the registry? Many thanks for your help here.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimiko,

It seems you have several issues going on at once here.

Google Chrome has an automated update service. If this is not authorized within your Kaspersky security software that may explain the issues you are having with Chrome. If you right-click on Kaspersky in the System tray and disable will Chrome run normally? If yes, then re-enable Kaspersky and open its authorization policies and add Chrome to the list.

In terms of booting Windows and seeing the Group Policy error - essentially something is preventing the Group Policy Client Service from starting as computer boots. This Service should be set to automatically start as a number of other Services and apps need it going so they can work.

If you are able to can you do the following and report back any results you get:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following commands. Press Enter key after each command to execute.

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\gpsvc" /v ImagePath

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost" /v netsvcs

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\netsvcs"

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\GPSvcGroup"

Note: That final command may produce no result at all as this particular subkey is not present by default unless created by the User, or through the Group Policy Editor.

Sample image of possible results of above commands - yours may differ:

Untitled.png

Could you also take a look at your Services and report back on the current status of your Group Policy Client Service. To do this simply:

• Type Services in your Search box then press Enter key
  • When the Services window opens scroll down to Group Policy Client and take a look at its Status and Startup Type. Is it running and set to be Automatic (Trigger Start)?

Sample image to show what I mean:

Untitled2.png

You said you could not uninstall Chrome. Did you get a message telling you this is not possible? If yes, what precisely did that message say?

Are you the sole user of this computer or are there other accounts set up?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimiko,

It seems you have several issues going on at once here.

Google Chrome has an automated update service. If this is not authorized within your Kaspersky security software that may explain the issues you are having with Chrome. If you right-click on Kaspersky in the System tray and disable will Chrome run normally? If yes, then re-enable Kaspersky and open its authorization policies and add Chrome to the list.

In terms of booting Windows and seeing the Group Policy error - essentially something is preventing the Group Policy Client Service from starting as computer boots. This Service should be set to automatically start as a number of other Services and apps need it going so they can work.

If you are able to can you do the following and report back any results you get:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following commands. Press Enter key after each command to execute.

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\gpsvc" /v ImagePath

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost" /v netsvcs

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\netsvcs"

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost\GPSvcGroup"

Note: That final command may produce no result at all as this particular subkey is not present by default unless created by the User, or through the Group Policy Editor.

Sample image of possible results of above commands - yours may differ:

View attachment 3536

Could you also take a look at your Services and report back on the current status of your Group Policy Client Service. To do this simply:

• Type Services in your Search box then press Enter key
  • When the Services window opens scroll down to Group Policy Client and take a look at its Status and Startup Type. Is it running and set to be Automatic (Trigger Start)?

Sample image to show what I mean:

View attachment 3537

You said you could not uninstall Chrome. Did you get a message telling you this is not possible? If yes, what precisely did that message say?

Are you the sole user of this computer or are there other accounts set up?

Regards,

Regedit32

Thank you so much for all of that information. Much appreciated.

I am the sole user of this computer.

When I went to uninstall Chrome, it didn't give me a message. It just didn't do anything.

Group Policy Client is running and set to Automatic.

I got a lot of information when I did the queries above. "Not recognized as an internal or external command" is there a lot.

The computer wouldn't start up the first time this morning which has been happening though not in the last couple of days. I got this: Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in. And also this: The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported.

I appreciate your time very much.

Kind Regards,

Kim

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Kimiko,

You say you got a lot of information but forgot to say what that information was.

I need to know the exact results of the query commands.

The not recognized as external command probably means you did not enter the full command. If you are copy and pasting make sure you scroll all the way to right in my last post to get all the command copied.

The latest errors you are getting make it appear your User Profile has become corrupted. If that is the case you may need to create a new User and migrate important files, then remove the old account to resolve things.

When you reset Windows did you end up with a new account, plus the original Username.old?

Reaction score
Thank you again, and I apologize for not being online yesterday.

The information is 4-5 pages long which is why I didn't send it. Also, my name is on it and I don't know if I should post that here. Is it safe for me to do that?

I went over the commands to see if they were entered correctly. They were all entered as I received them. I didn't work from this page where the end of the command gets cut off. I was on e-mail and copied from there.

I didn't end up with another account for Windows. Looking back, I created a new password on July 9--the day all of this started, and July 28. I don't know why I changed it on July 28 unless I had lost it. I have done so many things with all my accounts in the last 3 weeks that I am not sure of why it was changed.

Your recommendation is for me to set up a new user profile and then delete the current one?

I see I can upload the pages to you. The error message I received said "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The error message I received said "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."
You can right click the file and choose "Send to" and select "Compressed (zipped) folder" and attach the zip file to your post.

Reaction score
Here is the file. Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Command Prompt.zip
    10.2 KB · Views: 370

Ask a Question