Has this ever happened to you?

DV1

Reaction score
This may be about the OS (Win10) or it may be hardware. Either way, I figure that others may have had this happen and possibly found out more about it than I did.

Last week I was doing my normal routine on the PC, some web pages tabbed, taking notes, etc. Suddenly this continuous, high-pitched beep started sounding away. Some things started flickering on the pages, where I was taking notes the characters started spacing by themselves to the right, and when I switched to another webpage it started scrolling by itself. Then I would hit a key, any key, on the board the beep would stop for a second but then resume. In short, whatever was happening qualified as an episode where things went haywire.

I turned off the PC to see if something or another would reset itself. But turning it back on just brought the beep with it. Needless to say, I decided to take it in for a diagnostic. I bought the PC last summer (HP small form) and a 3-year warranty so that was taken care of in terms of whatever charges.

I took it into Fry's here in Las Vegas, Nevada. The tech said to leave it for about 2 hours and he would see what's what by running it at maximum and other checks.

Came back in 2 hours and the tech said he ran it high and other tests and said that the PC was running fine, no hardware or OS indications of anything.

I asked him what then went wrong. He said it was probably just a "hiccup". He was very general about that in that it could be anything. I asked him if the mouse or keyboard could affect it and he said it could be.

I brought the PC back home, switched to another keyboard (AST brand) just in case, and thus far no beep, everything is calm as before.

So, has this or something close enough happened to anyone else? In this instance I'm trying to get a better definition of "hiccup". :-D

Daniel

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems to me that you've discovered the source of the problem.
I'd still give it some time to make sure that the issue doesn't come back.

Generally, when someone brings me a computer with a problem that is profoundly remarkable and duplicatable and.....
That computer doesn't manifest that issue when I test it then I often suspect that the problem is linked to the local environment.
What is different at home that is not the same on my bench.
Since I always use my own generic USB connect mouse and keyboard and my monitor testing only their physical box, if.....
Their unique input device is producing the problem then I wouldn't be able to reproduce it in my environment.
AND
Believe it or not, it is not all that rare

Reaction score
My vote goes for a faulty keyboard. That is about the only thing that can alter text input like you describe.

DV1

Reaction score
Trouble and Clifford Cooley

Thank you for your responses. :)

When at the service desk the tech and I wondered the same about what could possibly be making the problem. He also said that if he had to narrow it down then it might be the keyboard.

I could have connected the same keyboard again but as noted in the OP I switched it with the one that came with the PC (AST brand). I really liked the previous keyboard, a Dell RT7D50, which felt more solid than the AST. The AST is very slim but it wobbles a bit like a chair which you have to put a matchbook under so it's level. But if the Dell keeps beeping like that then the writing - or we should say, the 'text' - is on the wall.

Of course, as 'Trouble' mentioned, best to give it some time to see if that beep critter rears its head again. If it does the tech told me to bring it back. They'll fix it or trade it for another desktop of equal value. Thank goodness for the extended warranty since when I asked the tech how much it would have been in cash just for the diagnostic he said $70.

Two quick questions before ending this episode: Since I liked the Dell keyboard, is it worth trying to have it fixed or considering what that would cost with something that's generally 'disposable', is it then best to get a newer keyboard? I don't keep up much on keyboards so maybe someone can clue me in as to a good brand/model. Basic one, nothing too fancy.

Thanks

Daniel

Sitesetis.com

Last edited:

Ask a Question