Headphone jack

Reaction score
Apparently my computer no longer recognizes my headphones - when I plug them in nothing happens, sound continues to come from the computer speakers but nothing from the headset. This was working fine until I upgraded to Win 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The benefits of posting a query on a community forum such as this is.....
Somebody sees your post and says.....
OH.... yah, I have that exact same computer and I had the exact same problem and I fixed it by doing........
OR
OH.... yah, I have that exact same sound card and I had the exact same problem and I fixed it by doing......

It's kinda important that we have some rudimentary details in order to even make a guess.
The more specific, of course, the more helpful.

Reaction score
Sorry, of course, my mistake. I'm running Win 10 on an fairly new Alienware 17 computer. I just upgraded yesterday from 8.1,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well that doesn't narrow it down too much as there are a number of Alienware product from Dell and even pre-Dell but, from what I've been able to determine.
If you go to Dell's support site and plug in your Service Tag number and download and install the latest Audio driver for Windows 8.1 it seems to remedy most people's problems.
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-17/drivers/advanced
That link will autodetect Windows 10 you have to change your OS to Windows 8.1 to get to the Realtek ALC3661 Audio codec Driver

Reaction score
I'll try this, but I think the problem is something different. There used to be a window that would open every time I"d plug in - or unplug - a mic or headphone and tell me that it had been plugged in. That window had a drop-down that offered several options. I'm more than a little hazy on this because I never paid much attention, but once I had a similar problem, while I was still running 8.1, and I inadvertently pulled down the drop-down and saw there was an option to turn on the headset. I suspect this software switch is what got turned off when I "upgraded" to Win 10. I've been all over the computer trying to find a key to open this window but haven't had any success.

Still, maybe your idea will work.

I'm very happy there are folks like you who pay some attention to these forums. This is only my second visit to this one, but there's a graphics forum that I'm on regularly because of a graphics program I use every day, and for which I'm a pretty regular contributor, and, like here, it's always very helpful.

I can't try your fix right now - I do have to work sometimes - but I'll report back later with results.

MANY THANKS!!

Just an aside for whomever might be listening sometime, I was very leery of Alienware, I'm not a gamer but an artist, but I"m very happy with it. The display is WONDERFUL, the very best colors I've ever had on a computer, otherwise it's generally fast with big graphics files and it's overall a competent machine. But, the display will blow you away.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There used to be a window that would open every time I"d plug in - or unplug - a mic or headphone and tell me that it had been plugged in.
Yep... that is likely part of the software / driver package that we want to install.

NOTE: You may have to uninstall the current audio card and driver to get this fix to work 100% correctly. Simply use device manager, right click it and choose uninstall, if and when prompted, include the associated drivers.

I can't try your fix right now - I do have to work sometimes
I can remember back when I had to do that too.

Ask a Question