Help me get my system back. Please!

Reaction score
I right-clicked on my C: drive I went to Advanced I think I went to owner I changed the current owner Now I can't access my C: drive and I can't change it back. HELP! Can anybody help me? I'm using Windows 10, Intel I7, 16gb

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Right clicking on my C drive does not give the option to click "Advanced". Not sure what you did.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean you opened File Explorer then:
  • Right-clicked on OS (C: ) | selected properties | selected Security tab | clicked Advance button | clicked Change Owner
Is that what you did, and if it is, what else did you do beyond selecting [assuming here] your Username to be Owner of C:\

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well we need to know precisely what you did to be able to help you.

With no accurate information the only other option is to perform a clean install of the OS, choosing to not save files and settings.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You stated in your Opening thread you changed the owner.

Hitting enter after doing that would have committed the change.

So the question is what did you change the owner to?

The original owner would have been TrustedInstaller.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to change the permissions/ownership of c:\ drive? I tried changing it but the system gives me an error everytime i click on c:\ drive. It doesn't matter whether its a right-click or left-click.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I changed it to "blank". No one is now the owner.

You can't change it to Blank so I'm guessing you have done something else altogether.

Given you numerous postings about not being able to even click C:\ without an issue, your best option would be to perform an in-place upgrade by downloading the latest Windows 10 ISO, then right-clicking on it and selecting Mount, then run the Setup file. This will allow you to reinstall Windows 10 over the top of the current one, and my advice would be to choose not to save settings and files to allow it to complete the install without crashing as a result of whatever it is you did in the first place.

You'll lose personal files, but at least you'll have a functioning computer again.

If you already had Microsoft's OneDrive activated, most of your personal files will be saved there anyway, which you can access once you have a fresh install of Windows 10 working again.

Ask a Question