hierarchy in file explorer

Reaction score
  1. Wanted to put Desktop into Quick access
  2. Instead of that I managed to move somehow This PC, Network, C: and D: drives, and the rest under Desktop. So, when all collapsed, only Quick access and Desktop remain.
  3. Consequently, all links and hierarchy is wrong, can't open Outlook, some other folders, not even Start Menu can't be accessed.
  4. No permission despite I'm the Admin.
  5. Any hint how can be Desktop put back where it belongs and the genuine hierarchy established again?

Reaction score
Suggestions only :

1. Do a system restore. At the restore points table, find out if there are dates listed before you "played" with the file explorer.
If there is one, use it to do a system restore to go back to a date before this problem.

restore points.jpg

2. Do you have the habit of creating a system image backup on a regular basis ?
If yes, use it to restore your system image.

Reaction score
Did system restore in Windows 10 - no change to file hierarchy, despite the changes were made after restore point. It seems restore doesn't touches files in file explorer. Went even back to Wibdows 7 version, where I found the NEW file hierarchy, everything except Favorites is under Desktop! Any ideas left? No backup available, it says... thx.

Ask a Question