How can I make my Windows 10 Pro x64 run as fast as possable?

Reaction score
Hi i would like to know if there are any tips on how to make my machine run faster?

Reaction score
Are we talking about the computer listed in your System Specs? If so, because it is a notebook, upgrade options are very limited. Being an old notebook limits your options even more.

But, for sure, I would look at boosting your RAM to at least 4GB, 8GB if your computer will support it. With only 2GB currently installed, especially with integrated graphics, your RAM is your biggest bottleneck right now. Adding RAM typically offers the most bang for your money when starting from such a small amount as you are.

The minimum suggested RAM for 64-bit Windows 10 is 2GB. That's just for the operating system. So that leaves very little room for your necessary security programs, your browser, or other programs you want to run. This forces Windows to use the page file on the slow hard disk extensively which greatly impacts performance too.

Just looking at the manual for the NP-Q35, it says the maximum RAM supported is 1.5GB. You may already be at the maximum you can install. :(

I recommend you run the Crucial Memory Advisor. It will tell you what your computer will support and offer options. You do not need to buy Crucial or from them, but you should buy RAM with the same specifications. Note that most other RAM makers have similar memory wizards/advisors. If you buy directly from Crucial (if you can where you live), the suggested RAM is guaranteed to be compatible.

Your other option would be to replace your hard drive with a SSD - but I would look at RAM first.

Reaction score
Going to 4 or even 8Gb of ram first I agree.

No doubt replacing the spinner with a 240GB SSD will give a huge speed increase as well as improving battery life.
Assuming the laptop is one you can easily open. You will want an SSD which comes with s/w and a USB to SATA connector to clone the internal drive. I reccomend Samsung 840 series for cheap and good.

Reaction score
I don't know of any SSD that comes with a USB to SATA connector. Most do come with software, or you can use Windows or another backup program.

As for Samsung 840, note there are two 840 series, EVO and Pro. Both are good and recommended but the Pro series is considerably more expensive - that is, not cheap.

Reaction score
Several 2.5" SSDs come with an adapter USB to SATA specifically to clone a laptop. Software comes with this in the box. The box tends to be labelled as an laptop upgrade SSD. I have done this twice once with a Samsung and once with a Crucial. In both cases it was via USB2 I suspect it would be a USB 3 adapter nowadays.

Plug the adapter in to a USB port on the laptop, plug the SSD in to the adapter and run the software which will partition ( on a correct 16,32 or 64 byte address depending on the SSD) , format and then copy the C: and the recovery partitions from the onboard disk. The software will ask if you wish to copy any other partitions. Then you take the old disk out of the laptop, plug in the SSD and boot. ( Being careful to remove the battery before unplugging the old disk!) Now you can throw the adapter away. Lo and behold a faster laptop.

Samsung EVO is the one for home use. Up here in Canada the 240Gb size seems to be the sweet spot for price this month.

Paragon make a good disk cloning software kit. If you are doing this on a desktop with Paragon you can just plug the new ssd into a spare SATA cable and it is much faster than via USB2

Reaction score
I've bought many Samsung SSDs (and pretty much all are 2.5", BTW or M.2) including 840 EVOs and Pros and 850 EVOs and Pros and none came with USB to SATA adapters. Neither did my Muskin, OCZ, or Crucial SSDs. In fact, I currently am doing a build with a Samsung 850 Pro as the boot drive and 850 EVO as the secondary drive - no cables, no USB to SATA adapters.

For example, the Samsung 840 EVO 256GB SSD, as shown by "What's in the box", no cables or adapters. Or looking at Newegg Canada 850 EVO, same thing, no cables or adapters. Same with the 840 EVO.

If you can show a link to one, I would like to see it as I might use it to recommend to others.
Samsung EVO is the one for home use
No. There is nothing that says EVO is for home or Pro is for business or enterprise.

Reaction score
here is the picture of the box. Contained the adapter and a software cd. The boxes labeled 'laptop upgrade ' did not have the 2.5" bracket. This one was a 128Gb. and the adapter...the one shown came with a Crucial, the Samsung one was black and I can't find it.
IMG_20160110_120649.jpg
IMG_20160110_121048.jpg

Reaction score
Interesting. I did not realize Samsung sold them packaged two different ways. Will keep an eye out for them. Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Additionally, something else to consider, when thinking about upgrading your laptop's spinner to an SSD.
IF..... your laptop is an older model (and it appears to be), it may have a SATA II disk controller. I just did one on an older HP that came with Vista pre-installed.
While any SSD is likely to provide improvements in performance over an older spinner, you may not be able to enjoy optimal performance of a SATA III SSD on a computer that only has a SATA II controller.
Just saying.

Reaction score
Okay, after some more searching, I have finally found a few SSDs being offered that include such adapter cables. But these "bundles" are few and far between as by far the vast majority of SSDs come with no adapter or cables, not even standard SATA cables. Typically these bundles are marketed for notebooks because most notebooks do not support two drives at the same time internally.

But for notebook owners seeking to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD, I would not worry if the SSD you want does not include one of these cables. They are readily available separately, or if you have a PC, they can easily be installed in there as secondary drives.

Or finally, you can just replace the HDD for a SSD and reinstall Windows and your programs from scratch - which many prefer to ensure a clean, fresh start.

Reaction score
I don't know of any SSD that comes with a USB to SATA connector. Most do come with software, or you can use Windows or another backup program.

As for Samsung 840, note there are two 840 series, EVO and Pro. Both are good and recommended but the Pro series is considerably more expensive - that is, not cheap.

He's talking about case that uses USB connector so he can clone the current boot OS.

Reaction score
I've bought many Samsung SSDs (and pretty much all are 2.5", BTW or M.2) including 840 EVOs and Pros and 850 EVOs and Pros and none came with USB to SATA adapters. Neither did my Muskin, OCZ, or Crucial SSDs. In fact, I currently am doing a build with a Samsung 850 Pro as the boot drive and 850 EVO as the secondary drive - no cables, no USB to SATA adapters.

For example, the Samsung 840 EVO 256GB SSD, as shown by "What's in the box", no cables or adapters. Or looking at Newegg Canada 850 EVO, same thing, no cables or adapters. Same with the 840 EVO.

If you can show a link to one, I would like to see it as I might use it to recommend to others.
No. There is nothing that says EVO is for home or Pro is for business or enterprise.

If you buy a kit they comes with an external case with USB connector and software like acronis true image to clone the original drive. You boot with Acronis and the set the old drive as source and SSD in case as destination.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

Yeah, Jake, it is important to check the dates of the last reply, or else you dredge up old threads that really just need to fade away. You replied to my January 2016 post.

Ask a Question