How do I buy a correct replacment NIC?

Reaction score
Apparently the network adapter has gone on my Dell Inspiron 580 desktop. Its is a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I cant find anywhere selling thse so how would I make sure I buy the correct replacement?

Reaction score
Is it a separate card? Maybe it is on the motherboard so you will have to turn it off completely in device manager.

Any $10-$40 adapter will probably work well. if it is a separate card take the old one to the store and ask. Tplink, Dlink, Netgear are ubiquitous in computer stores and are good although not the cheapest. An adapter with a RealTek chip regardless of the adapter brand will definitely have working W10 drivers and will probably work as soon as you power up the PC after installing...as W10 will have drivers.

Dont forget...unplug the machine from the wall and count to 20 before adding or removing a card!

Reaction score
I'm in the UK and there is no store nearby so everything is online. Still not sure I will get the correct one based on the advise. I presume its on the motherboard.

Reaction score
It is pretty rare for Ethernet cards to go bad. Are you sure it is bad? I would replace the cable first as they are critical but very low-tech and fragile devices. I would also try a different Ethernet port on your router.

If you still think the card is bad, because they all must conform to industry standards, compatibility is not really a problem. Newegg UK sells many. I would avoid that £3.71 (too cheap and never heard of that brand) but see no reason not to get the TP-Link or Rosewill.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I can't actually find the BCM number recorded anywhere on my pc (network adapter/properties etc) do you know where |I could find it? I expect I have download ed and installed the correct dsrivers. I have tried 3 different working cables. Windows just says a n Ethernet cable is unplugged ad that the network adapter is working properly.

Reaction score
do you know where |I could find it?
You can look in Device Manager which you should be checking anyway for problems. Right click the start button and go up the menu to it.

You can use msinfo32.exe and look under Components-Network-Adapter to see some numbers. Make sure and check the Problem Devices section.

Also, check under Settings-System and select the About link. It holds info or links to info about your system.

Ask a Question