How Do I Undo Windows Photo organizing?

Reaction score
I missed unchecking the box that allows Windows to "organize" my photos as it sees fit. I hate this, as it puts everything loaded on a specific date together, no matter what it is. I have carefully organized my scans of old photos into separate folders and now they're all mixed up. How can I turn off the Windows organizing feature?

Reaction score
I missed unchecking the box that allows Windows to "organize" my photos as it sees fit. I hate this, as it puts everything loaded on a specific date together, no matter what it is. I have carefully organized my scans of old photos into separate folders and now they're all mixed up. How can I turn off the Windows organizing feature?
This is the exact question I want an answer to, and I did not see any answer to this question. I don't want Windows 10 automatically organizing my photo albums. I want them in exactly the order of my choice. Also, I am taking pictures off an old laptop that are already organized in exactly the order I want, and they are all in separate folders. I do not want them to be changed when I load them on my newer computer. Please tell me how to "turn off" this feature in Windows 10. I do not want to use it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope..... the Windows "Photos" app, does not do anything to your underlying data structure with respect to the containers (folders / directories).
While I'm the first to admit that its' tendency for creating "Collections" and "Albums" is annoying and generally useless, if you use the menu bar at the top
Capture.PNG

AND select "Folders" you should see your "Pictures" folder along with all of the subfolders displayed as they exist in File Explorer.

Reaction score
I have this same issue and I'm not sure which menu bar you're referring to in the above response. I can still see my photos organized in the folders I put them in but I also see all of the folders by date that Windows set up so my screen is getting very cluttered with unnecessary folders and finding what I want is becoming a real chore. I learned the hard way that deleting one of Windows created folders also deleted the photos that were in it from the folder I created as well so that obviously isn't the answer. I also don't like that Windows doesn't give me another option when I go to upload photos from an iPad to my laptop other than it's two options of by day or by month. When did the good folks at Microsoft decide that they know better than everyone else how things should be organized and how can I completely bypass their so called intelligence.

Ask a Question