How to change icon for single file?

Reaction score
I want to do this for just one file, not an entire type of file extensions, there are lots of explanations online for folders, etc., but there is no Customize tab in the Properties for files as opposed to folders...what is the easiest way to do this? (I already have an .ico file ready to go). Thanks

Reaction score
As I see the issue, it may be difficult as files are associated with the program used to create them or maybe set in File Associations, take on the icon of the program. Changing a file association to a different program such as from Word to WordPerfect or to LibreOffice Writer also changes that file's icon.

Reaction score
It does seem extremely difficult; it's just weird to me because it's easy to do with folders (also on Macs).

Reaction score
Looking in Settings, Search for file associations does not show a None choice for any particular file type but maybe a Registry change would be necessary but that can be dangerous to the point of killing Windows, necessitate a re-install.

Sample
1633828717201.png

It would be possible to create a new folder, change the icon for it then move desired files into it.

Reaction score
Looking in Settings, Search for file associations does not show a None choice for any particular file type but maybe a Registry change would be necessary but that can be dangerous to the point of killing Windows, necessitate a re-install.

Sample
View attachment 13721

It would be possible to create a new folder, change the icon for it then move desired files into it.

Yes it seems like a registry edit is the preferred way to do it but I don't want to mess with that.

Or also yes, simply creating a folder with that icon and then moving the file into it.

Reaction score
It can depend on the type of file.

I have always done it this way, for cosmetic reasons only.
Right click the file and select properties.

At the botoom right, there is an option to change the icon.

1633850756104.png

If you select that, you will be offered only the few chosen by M in that folder. But, again, it offers to allow you to browse.

Reaction score
Files usually take on the icon of the program that created them or that can work with them or what the Open with has been set as default.

Reaction score
The thing I see movie files all the time with different icons (the first frame of the video file perhaps).

Reaction score
Mine generally look like this (each one is different however):

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-04 101642.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-04 101642.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Mine generally look like this (each one is different however):

If you just want to change the icon of one specific file without modifying all files of that type, you should be able to change it:

right click the file, ==go to==> Properties, select the shortcut tab and select the "change icon" button located near the bottom, then browse to the icon you want to use. Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?

Reaction score
If you just want to change the icon of one specific file without modifying all files of that type, you should be able to change it:

right click the file, ==go to==> Properties, select the shortcut tab and select the "change icon" button located near the bottom, then browse to the icon you want to use. Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?

The problem is I don't see a "Change Icon" bottom anywhere...

Reaction score
The problem is I don't see a "Change Icon" bottom anywhere...

Oh, okay. I stand corrected. You want to alter the icon of a media file. Yeah, you can either change that filetype icon, or live with it as is. There is a program called "Customizer God" that allows you to change a number of system icons, but that won't accomplish your goal. My bad, I'm sorry, man.

Ask a Question