How To Update To Build 1049?

Reaction score
I've had Build 1041 running on my desktop computer for a while now but can't update to Build 1049. The update starts but then fails with a message that something went wrong. So, what's the trick to update to 1049?

I've tried the Fast and Slow settings, but 1049 still won't install. To make matters worse, the last time I tried to update I got a message stating my device is up to date, which is nonsense.

Reaction score
Applicability.jpg
Try this......

Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowSelfHost\Applicability.
Make sure the right side is the same as the screenshot.
Delete any subkeys, if any.

***** Mods, why can't I post the screenshot at the bottom of the thread as before ?
Can't do that now. Why ?

Reaction score
just testing for preceding post::
1. Select "Upload a File" (centre item at bottom of your post)
After selecting file (From your computer?), select open in the same window.
Select "Full image", from the thumbnail at the bottom of your new post:

Capture.PNG

Working Ok for me.

Reaction score
I did the same since the first day I joined this forum.

click Upload a file > select from my computer > click Open >
make sure my cursor is at the bottom of the last line >click Full image
We, it works this time.
Applicability.jpg

Reaction score
View attachment 242 Try this......

Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowSelfHost\Applicability.
Make sure the right side is the same as the screenshot.
Delete any subkeys, if any.

All entries were the same as those shown in the screen shot. Build 1049 still won't install.

On the Update page, I think I saw the following for the first time:

*fbl.impressive 10049 Professional. (The asterisk was actually a bullet.)

Installation proceeded to about the 9% point, and then the following message appeared:

Couldn't install Windows 10 Technical Preview
We couldn't update the system reserve partition.

After that, I got a message about fixing the problem and clicked on it as instructed. Nothing seemed to happen. So, I returned to the Update page and got some sort of instruction about trying again, but it didn't work. I've forgotten the details of that instruction.

There is no System Reserve partition under This PC, but I think there was one at one time. Perhaps if that partition can be restored, Build 1049 would install. However, I have no idea how to restore a System Reserve Partition, but I know I never deliberately removed it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would it be impractical if I suggested a clean re-install of 10041 ?
I had the same issue you are having ...... No 10049 from WU.
I did a clean reinstall of 10041 and I was able to upgrade to 10049.

Here is the link to another forum where I participated in a thread of the same issue.
Fast Ring - Not Being Given Option for Build 1049

I apologize in advance that the thread is a bit long.

Reaction score
Would it be impractical if I suggested a clean re-install of 10041 ?
I had the same issue you are having ...... No 10049 from WU.
I did a clean reinstall of 10041 and I was able to upgrade to 10049.

Here is the link to another forum where I participated in a thread of the same issue.
Fast Ring - Not Being Given Option for Build 1049

I apologize in advance that the thread is a bit long.

I understand about the possibility 10049 would install if 10041 were reinstalled, for I had to do a similar thing with an earlier build last year. However, I'm getting weary of fighting with Windows 10 Preview, and reinstallation would take a long time. Then, more time would be required to install 1049. I signed up to feedback issues with a running Windows 10 Preview and not to troubleshoot installation problems. Further, there is no dialog between the Insider and a Microsoft tech, and I really don't like what I've seen in Windows 10 so far. However, I did see an article recently that claimed more tablet support was to be added or something like that. Even if Windows 10 when completed makes everybody happy as an operating system, the lack of productivity apps (e.g., all Intuit products) will, in my view, still leave Windows 10 half baked. As I've written elsewhere before, it's the apps, stupid. By apps, I mean touch/mouse/keyboard apps that launch from and return to the Start menu (formerly known as the Start screen). As it stands now, Microsoft appears to be trying to appease Enterprise and all commercial users who cling to Windows XP and 7 by advancing to the rear.

Ask a Question