I am no longer able to do a Restart

Reaction score
After upgrading to windows 10, I am no longer able to do Restarts. I can do Shutdowns and normal power on with no problem.

When I do a Restart, the computer gets thru the shutdown process OK. On the power back on process it gets to the dots circling and after a little while the dots stop and my computer is locked up. I have to do a hard power restart and it boots up fine. This happens every time that I attempt to do a Restart.

The bad thing about this is that you have to do a Restart for any Windows Update. So far my Updates have completed after doing a hard power off and restarting my computer. I have been lucky so far.

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Sounds like something didn't upgrade correctly or there is a conflict of some type, once you have it up you can go to settings, then update & security then on the left choose recovery and at the top you can click on reset windows and choose the option to keep your files/folders. It re-installs windows 10. I had to do that with a laptop and then after the reset it worked fine. There is a chance you may loose the files/folders so I'd do a back first just in case.

Reaction score
I ran a System file check (SFC) to check my Windows 10 files to verify that everything was OK with the files.

I hope that I don't have to reset my entire Windows 10 since this is my only problem. I was hoping that this had happened to others and that there might be a way to fix this problem. I feel like that I am jinxed when working on software problems. I usually make the problem worse instead of better.

If no one else has any other suggestions, how long did it take you to run this reset of Windows 10. I may hold off for a while and see if I find an easier fix. I have been reading a lot of forums hoping to find an answer.

Ask a Question