I bought a new Laptop ...

Reaction score
... and want to hear your opinion about the specs that I have chosen:

HP ENVY Laptop 17t-cr0000, 17.3"
HP USB-C to USB-A Adapter
HP ENVY 17.3 inch Laptop PC
Adobe 1 month trial
17.3" diagonal, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160), IPS, edge-to-edge glass, micro-edge, Low Blue Light, 400 nits
No DVD or CD Drive
512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD (is going to be replaced with a SN770 2TB)
Full-size, backlit, natural silver keyboard with numeric keypad
Security Software Trial
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 16 GB)
Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5.3 wireless card
No Additional Office Software
Windows 11 Pro (is going to be replaced with Windows 10 - already got all the drivers downloaded)
HP True Vision 5MP IR camera with camera shutter, temporal noise reduction and integrated dual array digital microphones
4-cell, 55 Wh Li-ion polymer
Intel® Core™ i7-1260P (up to 4.7 GHz, 18 MB L3 cache, 12 cores, 16 threads) + Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics
HP 1 Year Warranty

What am I gonna do with it? Browsing, Photo editing, Office, here and there maybe a movie, possible video editing (have not decided yet).
My current laptop is coming into the years and sometimes not up to par (built in 2007 with Windows XP, currently running Windows 10 1803)

Any comment are welcome and appreciated

Reaction score
Specs sound great and I loved my old Dell 17. Came with W7 also and still runs good with W10. Mine was heavy and a pain to carry around. I hope things are lighter these days. Sounds like that will be your daily driver. Good luck with it.

Reaction score
I presume it has at least one USB C port. Is that a Thunderbolt port or DisplayPort as well?
Does it have good 'ole ethernet? The web site doesn't say.

You are , from your comments, familiar with W10. Why not replace the W11 PRO with a more useful W11 home? and get used to it...only another 18 months on W10. I quite agree with replacing W11 Pro.

Personally I would use the built in Windows security not MacAfee with Malwarebytes loaded for an occasional scan

Reaction score
this one has 2 thunderbolt 4 ports (USB-C) and 3 USB-A, no ethernet.

it comes with Windows 11 pro, however, I will do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro and maybe later upgrade to Windows 11 pro (I don't like the Home versions). That way I do not have to deal with all the sponsored crap that comes with it. In regard of security, I fully intend to use Windows Defender instead of McAfee.
As I mentioned before, the 512GB NVMe will be replaced with a 2TB NVMe that I already have as soon as I get the Laptop.
I believe, by the time Windows 10 expires, Windows 12 will be out. I have tried Windows 11 as an Insider. Not so much my cup of tea. It maybe different now cause I have not used Win 11 for quite some time.
I had looked at a Dell but with almost the same configuration, I would have paid a lot more.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe, by the time Windows 10 expires, Windows 12 will be out
Since Win10 has an announced date of Oct. 14, 2025 for EOL and Win11 has been out more than a year and a half [Oct. '21], I'd wager Win12 will be out before that, probably in a year give or take. On the hardware side, none of my computers back in Oct.'21 would properly run Win11 so I got new ones, Notebook in Oct. '21 and Desktop in Apr. '22, both Pro.

A few months ago I was given Win11 Home Desktop and Notebook from 2019, that came with Win10, for parts but rehabbed them, still a minor problem on the Notebook but works. Both have only 8GB RAM but if what I read is true that will be minimum for Win12.

Reaction score
My current laptop has only 4GB RAM, of which is only 3.37GB used (due to limitations of the ICH7 chipset) It runs fine on Windows 7 and XP, but it struggles sometimes with Windows 10, especially when a scan is in the background and I have Facebook opened in browser. Then it is slow as molasses.

Reaction score
I've seen slow computers, especially when on the Internet, that got some improvement from using CCleaner but that is not for the faint-of-heart, could cause problems if making a misstep.

Reaction score
when it comes to CCleaner, one really has to know what one is doing, I agree on that. That is one reason that keeps me away from those programs, not that I don't know what I am doing but as you said, one step in the wrong direction and it can cause a catastrophe.
The low RAM usable on my old laptop is one of the reasons I am replacing it. The other one is the video card. Newer version of Windows 10 do not support that one I have anymore (screen is constantly slowly blinking). The laptop has served me well for the past 16 years and is ready to be retired.
If only the current laptops last that long, I'd be very happy. Unfortunately that is simply wishful thinking on my part.

Still have to wait for two weeks until the new one arrives

Reaction score
The low RAM usable on my old laptop is one of the reasons I am replacing it.
All my Windows Notebooks except an old Acer Aspire with Vista and of course an older Toshiba with MS-DOS 6 and Win3.1 have 8GB RAM [their maximum] and my Win10 and Win11 Desktops have 16GB. I learned the value of the amount of RAM with my first computer in '92, came with MS-DOS 5 and Win3.1 with WordPerfect for Windows 5.1, 4MB RAM and 120MB HDD, started running out of RAM at 8 pages of a document, first upgrade was to 8MB RAM and later the second was a 210MB HDD.

Reaction score
I think MS are missing a market by not offering a W11 version OR a "service pack" to remove all the assorted bloatware from a fresh install. Like one of the more simple Linux distros or even like Berkeley Unix

Reaction score
I think MS are missing a market by not offering a W11 version OR a "service pack" to remove all the assorted bloatware from a fresh install. Like one of the more simple Linux distros or even like Berkeley Unix
In the present climate, I think microsoft are missing a lot. Some people cannot afford to keep doing this upgrade crap or the expense of buying a new desktop/latop..Obviously this money driven updates and waste will be their downfall, as people will head to either cheap phones or google.

Ask a Question