SOLVED I/O Performance

Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspiron 1700R laptop 8 gb ram Intel i7 cpu w 5400rpm 1tb hdd and a 64gb SanDisk on my usb3.0 port. Currently I use all 64 gb of the SanDisk for ReadyBoost. Would I/O be improved by creating 2 volumes on the SanDisk and moving pagefile.sys to SanDisk ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would I/O be improved by creating 2 volumes on the SanDisk and moving pagefile.sys to SanDisk ?
I can't say for certain but I wouldn't expect much improvement
With 8 gigs of RAM you're probably not paging that much anyway and with the new memory management and memory compression built into Windows 10 paging is handled quite differently than you might expect
https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Seth-Juarez/Memory-Compression-in-Windows-10-RTM

IF you really want to step it up a bit, then I'd look to upgrading the hard disk with a faster spinner, although with faster RPMs comes a bit more heat to dissipate
OR
Shop around for an SSD, the prices are coming down some but a 1 TB is still pretty pricey.

Reaction score
I see in Canada that 1TB SSDs are now below $500CDN plus tax. I replaced a 500Gb 5400 rpm spinner in my laptop with a 256GB SSD a year ago and it made a lot of difference. Machine runs faster as one would expect but also it lasts longer on a charge and definitely runs cooler.

Ask a Question