Input signal out of range

Reaction score
I have a optiplex 9020 PC but when i turn it on it says input signal out of range. I think the reason for this is because earlier I had opened up my graphics card settings by right clicking on the background and then I selected 25Hz because it felt like my game wasnt running too smoothly so I thought that setting it to 25 then back to 75Hz would fix it, but it didnt and a black screen appeared and in a green box it said signal output out of range. The only screen that works is when i turn on the pc and click on CTRL and F8 then the boot window opens up but other than that if i dont open up the boot window it will just show the error screen. It also does show the company logo which is dell then after that the error shows. I have searched online on how to fix but they keep telling me to select safe mode but there isnt a safe mode option when i open up the boot window.

Reaction score
Hi Shiva2000,

switch on your PC and then press the menu button on your monitor, look for the reset function and try resetting the monitor, it should pick up the new signal. Make sure that the monitor input range is within the limits you set within the OS, check the makers website for info about the frequency range of the monitor. :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may find it necessary to boot into Safe Mode in order to use device manager to remove your Video Card and let Windows find it again on reboot.
Here's a link that explains a few ways to go about that. Numbers / Sections #2, #3 and #4 (if you happen to have one) in my opinion would probably be your best bets, seeing as how you've set you GPU to an improper frequency and consequently are not likely to be able to see anything on the display.

Your principle concern is to get into the "Troubleshooting" options so you can select "Restart" / "Safe Mode" from that menu.

Ask a Question