INSTALLATION, SETUP AND UPDATES

Reaction score
I have a Sony SVE1511L1EW laptop with Windows 7 purchased in August 2012 and have been notified that Windows 10 is now ready for installation and that my laptop is "ready to go". However Sony have strongly advised their users, because of a risk of software/driver corruption, not to actually install until issues with compatability and drivers etc have been resolved. They say that they are currently testing and will provide compatability information later this summer. I have therefore delayed installation. However I notice that Sony are now saying that they are not currently planning on providing an upgrade procedure, nor drivers and utilities, for older models which were released with Windows 7 or previous versions of windows preinstalled, but only for computers supplied with Windows 8 or 8.1 . Is it truly a fact that, although Microsoft is offering free upgrade to Windows 10 for people with operating systems including Windows 7 , the lack of apppropriate Sony drivers and upgrade procedures for Sony Wndows 7 users means that in fact the upgrade is not available to them? I am very confused and would appreciate clarification. Thank you.

Reaction score
Some (most) laptop manufactures use proprietary drivers unique to their specific product. For example, some have specialized graphics drivers that have a specialized fan profiles. The exact reason I loath mainstream laptops.

I've already run in to this issue with my tablet. The original Windows 7 touchscreen drivers work, but Windows 10 forces a generic driver that doesn't.

You can give it a try. There's a good chance you'll be fine. But I would do a full backup, and have your recovery media readily available.

Ask a Question