IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

Reaction score
Keep getting the BSOD.

Have done clean install - Still happening

Have done clean install on different HD - Still happening

Have done clean install with no peripherals or secondary HD in tower - Still happening

Dont have spare RAM or sound card to swap out to check if those are faulty.

I have dump files but looked thru and cant see anything obvious (but I have no idea what im looking for).

Ive run out of ideas for now. Is anyone able to offer advice or possibly help me out (dump files attached)?

Attachments

• Dump Files.zip
    681.5 KB · Views: 35

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks a bit like a memory module problem.
There are some references to a page file problem which can often involve the hard drive but since you've experimented with alternate hard disk, it's probably going to fall back on the RAM.

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Reaction score
There are some references to a page file problem which can often involve the hard drive but since you've experimented with alternate hard disk, it's probably going to fall back on the RAM.

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour.

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours (overnight even better). First test system as presently configured with all RAM modules in place, If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test on RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

Ill give this a try. Thanks. Much appreciated

Reaction score

Hi. Just ran memtest (img attached). I have no idea what im looking at but i get the idea its not good. Yeah?

Attachments

• memtest img_Moment (small).jpg
    memtest img_Moment (small).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 40

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
no idea what im looking at but i get the idea its not good.
Correct.
Now the work begins.
Without knowing how many modules you are using nor how many slots are being used.
You might try reducing to a single stick in a single slot and start the test again.
The image you posted is not the best quality but it looks like you may have started receiving errors on the first past or early in the second pass. So.... you can "maybe" use that as a bench mark for future tests and if you get to pass #3, then you "might" assume that, that module in that slot is good and proceed
You're trying to sort through known good modules in "a single" known good slot. Then....
You'll want to proceed with multiple modules, populated in slots as dictated by your motherboard manual.

WARNING:
IF you find that you only receive errors when all slots are populated with memory modules (assuming four slots all populated), then...
You are either using modules that are mismatched (frequencies and timings) and you should attempt to use only identical memory modules....
OR
You are over taxing the memory controller and you will either have to reduce the frequency and timing or add a very small increase to the voltage.
You'll want to consult the memory manufacturer for their recommendations for settings specific to the memory modules you are using.

I've done both under-clocked my memory and then returned the frequencies to their factory settings and very cautiously increased the voltage, but....
You'll need some expert advice

Reaction score
Correct.
Now the work begins.
Without knowing how many modules you are using nor how many slots are being used.
You might try reducing to a single stick in a single slot and start the test again.
The image you posted is not the best quality but it looks like you may have started receiving errors on the first past or early in the second pass. So.... you can "maybe" use that as a bench mark for future tests and if you get to pass #3, then you "might" assume that, that module in that slot is good and proceed
You're trying to sort through known good modules in "a single" known good slot. Then....
You'll want to proceed with multiple modules, populated in slots as dictated by your motherboard manual.

WARNING:
IF you find that you only receive errors when all slots are populated with memory modules (assuming four slots all populated), then...
You are either using modules that are mismatched (frequencies and timings) and you should attempt to use only identical memory modules....
OR
You are over taxing the memory controller and you will either have to reduce the frequency and timing or add a very small increase to the voltage.
You'll want to consult the memory manufacturer for their recommendations for settings specific to the memory modules you are using.

I've done both under-clocked my memory and then returned the frequencies to their factory settings and very cautiously increased the voltage, but....
You'll need some expert advice
Ive just got one slot being used by a single 8gig stick. I guess ill try it in the other unused slots and see how the tests go. Thanks. Wish me luck :D

Ask a Question