SOLVED IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, a while after each startup.

Reaction score
Hi there, can some one help me please.

Upgraded laptop SONY Vaio (VGN-AW41ZF). Changed one of the 2 hard disks (C) to SSD, increased RAM from 4Mb to 8 and jumped from Win7 to Win10 (Fresh installation on the new SSD C drive).

All works well and it feels like driving a Bugatti!

BUT, almost every time I start the laptop, after about a minute or so I get a BLUE SCREEN with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I runned the Memory Diagnostic tool and there is no problem there.

I runned the Event Viewer and I found Red Icons at the beginning of each day. The text in Red Icon files go as follows:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 22/11/2016 3:40:50 μμ
Event ID: 10016
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer: DESKTOP-I7O1OTE

Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}
and APPID
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-11-22T13:40:50.306057300Z" />
<EventRecordID>2419</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="840" ThreadID="860" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-I7O1OTE</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
<Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
<Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}</Data>
<Data Name="param5">{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}</Data>
<Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
<Data Name="param7">LOCAL SERVICE</Data>
<Data Name="param8">S-1-5-19</Data>
<Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
<Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
<Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I am not sure if I should Disable the Memory Cache or if I should do something else.

The upgrade was done by a friend of mine, but he is too busy to help me with this. The Memory Diagnostic, Event Viewer, Memory Caching and this forum I found on Google.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I runned the Memory Diagnostic tool and there is no problem there.
IF you are talking about the native Memory Diagnostic Tool, it is not particularly robust. You may want to try this instead

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+

Additionally you might try undoing the memory upgrade, whatever that entailed, reverse it and see if that proves fruitful.

Reaction score
usually "IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" means a driver problem and usually shows which file is involved (*.sys: *.dll etc) with the parameters (stop 0x00xxxxxx: parameter: parameter: parameter)

Reaction score
IF you are talking about the native Memory Diagnostic Tool, it is not particularly robust. You may want to try this instead

Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

Additionally you might try undoing the memory upgrade, whatever that entailed, reverse it and see if that proves fruitful.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the (Guide to using) Memtest86+ Common symptoms of bad ram and I don't think it has anything to do with RAM in my case.

I do graphic designs and at times I have COREL Draw, COREL Paint, PaintShop, AfterShot RAW editor, ACDSee, Microsoft Word and Chrome all open, jumping from one another and working all day. I work fast with very large files. Also I leave the computer on, 24 hr's and has no problem at all. When I used to run all the apps with 4 RAM the computer would become quite slow. Of Course the SSD helps a lot as well.

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen happens only after about a minute when I start the computer. Just once every time. It doesn't happen again while the computer is on, even for days. The application-specific permission issue I don't think has anything to do with RAM, Of coarse this is just a gut feeling as am not computer doctor.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Trouble
Noob Whisperer, You were upsolutely right. One of the two new ram sticks was causing the blue screen. I took the laptop to a repair center and after diagnostics they replaced one of the two 4GB ram sticks. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad you were able to sort it out.
Thanks for the follow-up.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question