Is Windows 10 free or not?

Reaction score
I have noticed over the last week here in Australia that computer retailers are selling Windows 10.
After looking at approx. 30 businesses the average price is $165.00 AD
Now some are stating that they have an OEM version and others are stating that they have certified Microsoft versions.

So it begs me to ask, is Windows 10 free or not?

Reaction score
Windows 10 is a free UPGRADE, if you have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or 8.1. If you have an older version of Windows, or you are building a new PC, you have to pay for a copy.

Reaction score
Here is an example that I cut and pasted and note that it is an upgrade for a new machine.
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit Installed and Activated.

*Please Note: When purchase with PC System, all software is installed

Brand New Australia Stock
Picture for illustrative purpose only. Product may vary from image. Rely only on description for purchasing decisions.

This Software Upgrade is strictly to be sold to customer who is purchasing our desktop PC .

Reaction score
I will try to expand on this. I had a laptop with 7 on it which became disabled so I bought a new one with 8.1 on it. This was upgraded to Win 10 for FREE because the version of 8.1 was legitimate.

After the 7 laptop was repaired it was dual booted to 7 and 10. 10 could not be activated because it was a clean installation NOT a qualified update.

FREE only applies if you buy new and pay for it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
"Free" only applies to the upgrade and the upgrade only, and that applies to legitimate versions of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 (Update).
Those machines and those machines only are eligible for a "free" upgrade to Windows 10.
I've purchased and OEM copy of Windows 10 Pro OEM as well as a retail version (which came interestingly enough on a USB flash drive).
So you can buy it or you can get it for free if your computer qualifies.
Seems pretty simple to me.

As far as some retailers in Australia charging for the product.....
Buyer beware. Know what you are getting. If you are paying for Windows 10 then make sure you have a product key in your hand as well as a digital copy of the Operating System, either on DVD or USB and they should be appropriately packaged.

Reaction score
I will try to expand on this. I had a laptop with 7 on it which became disabled so I bought a new one with 8.1 on it. This was upgraded to Win 10 for FREE because the version of 8.1 was legitimate.

After the 7 laptop was repaired it was dual booted to 7 and 10. 10 could not be activated because it was a clean installation NOT a qualified update.

Reaction score
You have it completely wrong. Your upgrade was supposed to upgrade from 7 to 10 - not for creating a dual boot! When done correctly - not clean install - it will activate. You only have to purchase if you had Windows XP or Vista OR if you were running an Enterprise edition.. Get your facts straight before messing up other people.

Reaction score
Fry's had 64-bit Home OEM Windows 10 on sale Sunday for $85 US. Maybe, that version of 10 will be even cheaper during the yearend holidays. Other versions may be cheap too during the holidays.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Fry's had 64-bit Windows 10 on sale yesterday for $85 US. Maybe, 10 will be even cheaper during the yearend holidays.
There is never, that I've noticed a price difference between 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows regardless of whether it's Windows 10, 8, 7 or whatever.
The price difference is between OEM and Retail and Pro and Home versions. That price sounds like an OEM version of Home.

Reaction score
There is never, that I've noticed a price difference between 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows regardless of whether it's Windows 10, 8, 7 or whatever.
The price difference is between OEM and Retail and Pro and Home versions. That price sounds like an OEM version of Home.

See correction.

Ask a Question