SOLVED Is Windows Live Mail 2012 compatible with verizon.net

Reaction score
I have been using Windows Mail on my Vista PC for my verizon.net email account for many years. Purchased a new Windows 10 PC and after many hassles finally got Windows Essential 2012 installed on it. I opened the Windows Live Mail (WLM) app and configured the email account settings to be a mirror image of what I had in my Vista machine. I am unable to send or receive emails on the W10 machine. When I was initially configuring the setting, I did receive "warning" messages stating that POP3 and SMTP were not valid servers and asked if I wanted to proceed with them. I answered yes as that is the settings in my Vista account. Can anyone shed any light on how to configure a verizon.net account on WLM on a Win10 PC?

Reaction score
The thread which Cliff refers to is a little redundant (I think). WLM seems to be working 100% again.
But I am puzzled by
". When I was initially configuring the setting, I did receive "warning" messages stating that POP3 and SMTP were not valid servers and asked if I wanted to proceed with them. "

WLM has always been fully capable of sending and receiving pop3 and smtp.

Which mail application were you using with "I have been using Windows Mail on my Vista PC for my verizon.net email account for many years."

I know nothing about Verizon , so cannot offer any suggestions. But, I saw this which may help:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/VERIZON-Mail-Server-Settings/td-p/568055

Reaction score
The thread which Cliff refers to is a little redundant (I think).
I wouldn't know to be honest. I don't know what is going on. Since the patch seemed to fail on my machine, I was expecting WLM to stop functioning. But since WLM is still functioning I couldn't say for sure the patch did fail. All I know is I received an email that stated WLM would stop within a few weeks, which would also effect new installs. It all has me confused, which is why I only pointed to the thread about the email.

Reaction score
Got me confused too, Cliff. Really bad and untimely communication from MS on that one.
To be exact, the email warning did not say it would stop. It said it would not be supported. It hasnt been supported for a couple of years. But that is also a negative statement. All it reall means is that it will not continue to get upgrades ( live 2015 - live 2016..etc)
Just to requote:

"Dear user,

In a few weeks, we will be making some changes to our email services that might impact your @outlook.com, @hotmail, @live, or @msn email account. Those changes will prevent your email from being delivered to the Windows Live Mail 2012 application you use.

In order to continue using Windows Live Mail 2012 to send and receive email for your account, you need to install the latest update published here.

If you use Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, we recommend that you switch to the built in Mail app in Windows to stay connected and get the latest feature updates on Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.

Windows Live Essentials 2009 and 2011 are not supported anymore, and you will need to update to Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 and use the Mail app, or use www.outlook.com. To learn more about the Mail app, please click here.

We also recommend all Windows Live Mail users on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 to upgrade to Windows 10 and use the built in Mail application to stay connected and get the latest feature updates.

We suggest saving this email so you can refer to it later.

Thanks for your understanding and continued use. "

Again a little odd. A couple of my colleagues are still using live Mail in windows 7. They have not received that notification.

Reaction score
Back again.

I have just been speaking to my local rep, and prowling the MS forum sites.

I am beginning to think that Email was some kind of spam!

I cannot find any substantive background for the statement.
I am on a new install on a couple of my computers, neither of which have had the "fix" applied. Both are ending and receiving mail just fine.

Reaction score
To be exact, the email warning did not say it would stop.
I meant that from my stand point as I have @outlook.com email address. I'm sure WLM would continue to function as always. But not with a service that has been changed making WLM outdated. Pardon the confusion I'm not the greatest with words at times.

I don't know, I'm lost. I'm not gonna say it wasn't spam but it looks legit. The links are all "communication.microsoft.com".

The question though that I was hinting at, was if Verizon made the same changes.

Reaction score
Maybe the OP will report back.

But, I am putting the MS email on the back burner. Further indication is that I can no longer find the Email in my online live outlook Archives??

Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions. I will begin exploring them later today and see which works best and report back. In the meantime, the reason that I haven't responded sooner was that I had previously read elsewhere that Thunderbird works with verizon as BigFeet mentioned above. So I downloaded Thunderbird on my new PC and it came with loads of malware! I mean loads of it. It basically took over the new computer. It has taken me untold hours to what I hopefully think I "may" have finally got ahead of the problem. When the malware took hold of my PC it was impossible to download any antimalware software. I finally got to the point where I was able to do so and used Malwarebytes and it is continuously detecting and stopping new malware from reinstalling and loading onto my PC. Is there some way to totally eliminate this problem?

So the takeaway from this is to be very careful what site one uses to load legitimate software (Thunderbird) and do NOT "accept" the acknowledgements without reading all of its contents as I suspect that within those was my inadvertently accepting the loading of this malware.

In the meantime, thanks for your responses.

Reaction score
Update: Forget it! There is no way to get verizon.net email to work with Windows Live Mail running Win10. Despite the setting that Verizon claims must be used, it doesn't work. With the old settings, which are supposedly not supported anymore by Verizon, it works on my old Vista machine. But neither the old nor the new recommended settings work with the new Win10 PC.
Installed Thunderbird (after painstakingly removing all the malware) works like a charm. And surprisingly, all I had to tell the app was that it was a verizon.net account and it pretty much set all the required inputs. So this is the way I recommend all verizon email users to go.

Reaction score
Glad you have sorted it.
I am not, nor ever will be, a verizon user. But I have found the thread contents interesting and baffling. I really cannot understand, as I stated before, why you would have received the message "I did receive "warning" messages stating that POP3 and SMTP were not valid servers " I can say, with 100% certainty, that this did not pop up from a WLM installation

Ask a Question