Issues with ATI 7970

Reaction score
Recently in the last week and a half my ATI Card has started crashing on my computer. While I am playing video games like counterstrike, COD, LoL, or anything the screen goes to a pure brown screen.

It does it annoyingly awesome. Luckily I have backup graphics cards. Unfortunately they are all Nvidia. The NVidia cards I have been using for several days without crashes.

Whenever the crash occurs the computer just freezes and does not allow me to do anything. I have tried switching the slots on the motherboard that the card is in but the problem persists. I have uploaded my sysinfo without the ati card as I dont want to keep crashing my computer.

Has anyone run into an issue like this? Please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2015-08-24 17_46_51-Program Manager.png
    2015-08-24 17_46_51-Program Manager.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 624
  • sysinfo.txt
    918.3 KB · Views: 1,268

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Don't use the driver provided by windows. Download the driver Trouble recommended. It wouldn't hurt to download DDU after, run it in safe mode, and completely clean the current driver (you might want to do that anyways even if you are running that driver). After it reboots, install the downloaded driver.

Reaction score
So I tried the tips that trouble stated and I was able to make it through a couple games last night without crashing. It will need more testing tonight to see if it worked but so far its looking good.

I will report back as soon as I know. Thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
Well Im sad to say that today after playing 20 minutes of a game my computer crashed to the infamous brown screen that has plagued me.

I have attached a new system info file. This one actually contains the info for my ATI card.

I did exactly as BigFeet asked but the issue persisted.

Im using the latest ATI drivers. As I said before I have an NVIDIA GTX480 and it doesn't crash on windows 10. only this ATI card.

This is way out of my league. Any help is welcome. Thank You All!

Attachments

• sysinfo.txt
    982.7 KB · Views: 884
Reaction score
You're crossfiring the 7970 and an r9 2xx? Have you tried just one card? I know some have had issues with sli. Try one and see if crossfire is the issue. You may have to try an older driver.

Reaction score
I do have a secondary card normally in the computer for multiple monitors that I have. I removed that card as soon as I was having issues. I don't know why the r9 card would be showing up in the sysinfo file.

Currently I have just one 7970 card in the computer. The R9 card that I have is not powerful enough to play games on.

Is is possible that there is a second type of driver installed just for the R9 card that the computer is still picking up. As I said not an expert at this but would like to get it figured out.

I thank everyone for taking time to help me on this. Some things with my limited knowledge of hardware just aren't easy to fix. Glad there are always communities like this.

Ask a Question