SOLVED I've not seen this before.....

Reaction score
I just performed a forced Win 10 update from a 1909 build to the latest 2004 build. I now no longer have access to my programs list via either the Start sequence or the Windows key! Can anyone suggest a fix? For me it’s serious detriment.

Thanks.

JLOB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking (5) or just plain old Safe Mode (4) and test for a while to see if the computer exhibits the same symptoms.
IF not then simply restart in Normal Mode and test again.

Hold the shift key while clicking "Restart" you can do this from within Windows or at the logon screen.
You should see a series of Windows as shown below.

Sign-in1.PNG

Sign-in2.PNG

Sign-in3.PNG

Sign-in4.PNG

Sign-in5.PNG

Sign-in6.PNG

Reaction score
Trouble,
Thank you. Exquisite instructions. Unfortunately, no joy. There is no response when I click "Start". These is no response when I press the Windows key by itself. There is the appropriate response when I press the Windows key with another key.

I'd appreciate ANY other ideas you, or anyone else , might be willing to offer.
Thanks.
JLOB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The next step would be to create a new local user as a member of the local administrators group, as a temporary means of investigating possible user profile corruption.

Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding extensions of known types it might simply say Cmd)
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

NOTE: Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble. I had already added another admin user and quickly discovered that the problem is user-profile dependent. Looks like I need to rebuild that user id from scratch since no one, to my knowledge, has any idea how to debug Win 10 user issues.
JLOB

Reaction score
Thanks. Pretty much what I do often when rebuilding my systems. Can’t stop there though since your method leaves me without operational data that’s contained in places such as appdata/roaming (or local) or just files in general in the profile itself. Desktop is a biggy that helps me remember just what needs to be tweaked. Thanks for you input.

JLOB

Ask a Question