Things I've noticed so far in 16125.1000 re_prerelease

Regedit32

Reaction score
After an initial failure at the 75% mark to successfully upgrade, followed by a successful upgrade on second attempt I've run into a few apparent issues:
  • Microsoft Edge has become somewhat less stable
    • It appears to lag/freeze often and gives the appearance that it has lost focus when you attempt to type in address bar. When this happens on occasion a notification will appear informing you C:\Windows\Explorer.exe has run into problems.
      • Resolving the immediate issue requires restarting Windows Explorer, but to get to the Task Manager to do this either by right-clicking the Taskbar or using the Ctrl|Shift|Esc shortcut seems to fail on first attempt to open the Task Manager then work fine on the next attempt. Restarting Windows Explorer helps but does not have a lasting effect. The issue appears to be intermittent.
  • Right-click and/or Winkey combinations to achieve same goal (for example winkey|x) will work, but often only on second attempt. The first attempt will see Power Menu, or a Context Menu for example pop-up, but before you can select your choice from the menu it disappears. On the second attempt it is fine and works as you want it to.
  • Device Manager appears to run into trouble randomly if you attempt to update/roll back drivers. This behaviour though is rather random, as often it works perfectly fine.
    • In my test I updated all Intel chipset drivers to 2nd generation, and eventually succeeded. In normal mode, when error occurs, the Update dialog enters an infinite loop showing progress bar, or after a few minutes displays a timeout error message.
    • When done in Safe Mode (no network support) the updates all appear to work fine [ no loops/timeout errors ], however some of the confirmed updates do not stick after restarting computer.
  • Safe Mode (no network support) pops up two errors consistently:
    • As soon as you sign-in to Safe mode you are greeted by a large Tips app that crashes almost instantly. Overlaying this app, you are greeted by a smaller pop-up informing you CTFMON.exe is not working.
    • You click OK to the second error, and the X to close Tips app to get to your Safe mode desktop.
    • Now every time you right-click or press Enter or click buttons in applications such as Device Manager the CTFMON.exe pop-up reappears and you have to click OK to continue
  • Ralink 802.11n Wireless Lan Card displays in Device Manager with the yellow warning triangle.
    • Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)
    • Attempts to update drivers, or use current drivers on computer, or install new ones using downloaded Setup all fail to work, both in Normal and Safe Mode.
    • Disabling and re-enabling has no affect in helping
    • Network Adapter troubleshoot app does not find any issues
    • One driver update resulted in not only continued loss of Wireless, but then Ethernet also crashed!
      • Thankfully, Network Reset via Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status worked to restore Ethernet. It had no positive affect on WLAN, but did manage to report Drivers need to be installed.

That is it from me for now. Will keep updating this thread as I discover other anomalies.

Please feel free to share your own discoveries, but please keep it to the error/bug you found, and any steps you took to overcome / fail to overcome it so far. I do not want to see I hate Microsoft posts, which are not constructive.

If you see a post here from me or someone else showing their discoveries that
you too have been through in the current 16125 rs_prerelease and managed to resolve, please share your tips.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread.
Quick question..... Does your "Photos" live tile work?
With either "single" or "recent" photos?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ralink 802.11n Wireless Lan Card displays in Device Manager with the yellow warning triangle.
  • Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)
  • Attempts to update drivers, or use current drivers on computer, or install new ones using downloaded Setup all fail to work, both in Normal and Safe Mode.
  • Disabling and re-enabling has no affect in helping
  • Network Adapter troubleshoot app does not find any issues
  • One driver update resulted in not only continued loss of Wireless, but then Ethernet also crashed!
    • Thankfully, Network Reset via Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status worked to restore Ethernet. It had no positive affect on WLAN, but did manage to report Drivers need to be installed.
Wondering if this might be related in some way to this known issue....
Wi-Fi will get turned off on certain devices like the Surface Pro 1 and Surface Pro 2 and some USB devices and won’t work due to a driver issue. To get Wi-Fi working again, you will have to roll-back to the previous build.
I don't have anything handy right now to test. Maybe I'll steal my wife's later when she's not looking.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit Did you by chance forward these issues to MS.

Not yet Norton.

I will when I've had time to explore each issue.

I'd like to offer as much information to them [ even a solution if I work one out ] rather than just pummel them with the negatives.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't have anything handy right now to test. Maybe I'll steal my wife's later when she's not looking.

Make a system image then!

Roll back button is disabled on the 802.11n Wireless Lan Card.

The one time it did enable, so I could use it, was on one particular downloaded setup file I trialed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, I can report that I borrowed her USB wireless dongle
NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
Plugged it in, went to device manager and forced a driver update and it worked with the supplied drivers from Windows Update.
Rebooted once, just to confirm that it would remain useable and all seemed well.
Evidently there is more to it and is specific to certain devices.
@Regedit32
I asked above if your "Photos" app, live tile was working?
Anything to report on that, just an interest to me as most other live tiles seem to work on both my clean install / physical machine and my upgrade on my VM, but not the Photos App live tile.

Capture1.PNG

Regedit32

Reaction score
Quick question..... Does your "Photos" live tile work?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

In short - No!

Photos Live Tile not working.
  • Opening the Photos app works fine, and pictures you have automatically are found.
  • The option to choose other folders to look in also works.
  • The Slideshow option works fine.
  • If you click the Ellipsis > Settings then choose Recent photos it has no affect
  • If you click the Ellipsis > Settings then choose Single Photo and click the button to select a photo:
Alternatively: Opening photo in Photos app, then right-clicking and selecting Set as > Set as photos tile
    • After selecting a photo, you spend the next 40 seconds watching a spinning circle
    • Then after closing the settings and checking Start menu again, live tile is not displaying the photo.
    • Restarting Windows Explorer via Task Manager makes no difference.
    • Signing out then back in also makes no difference
    • Turning the live tile off then back on makes no difference
    • Restarting computer also makes not difference
  • Trying all the above in Safe Mode (no networking) also fails
Interestingly though:

Attempting to set a single photo for the Photos Live Tile is recorded in the Registry in 4 separate locations:

In my test scenario I selected a picture named: OK.jpg from the Pictures folder

The following 4 keys were created in the Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\PersistedStorageItemTable\ManagedByApp\{A1CB21B1-FC6F-4749-91F5-A8729B7EC807}

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\PersistedStorageItemTable\ManagedByApp\{A1CB21B1-FC6F-4749-91F5-A8729B7EC807}

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1306294681-491285300-2954676399-1000\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\PersistedStorageItemTable\ManagedByApp\{A1CB21B1-FC6F-4749-91F5-A8729B7EC807}

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1306294681-491285300-2954676399-1000_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe\PersistedStorageItemTable\ManagedByApp\{A1CB21B1-FC6F-4749-91F5-A8729B7EC807}

Sample image of first key [ the other keys are identical, but for their location ]

setphototile.png

Edit: 7:46 am, Monday 12 June

I used Administrator: Windows PowerShell to execute:

Code:
Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

I signed into Store and installed Microsoft Photos again.

Microsoft Photos 17.524.10020.0

Opened the newly installed Photos app, and then repeated all previous tests. Unfortunately, still making no difference. It's a pity as it worked fine for me in OS Build 15063.3xx

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Very indepth and Thank You.
Pretty much the same thing here although I've not looked to the registry. I'll leave that sort of thing to you.
But I did try all the other stuff you mentioned.
It (the live tile for photos) seemed to go south right after they did all the fancy additions (Story / Remix / etc.) to the app a few builds back and as best I can tell from my experience, has not worked since.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes it is ironic. The newer features work, but the original do not.

I'd need to re-install an older System image and check if there are any differences in the Registry when applying the live tile settings.

Will do that later today and report back.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Mail app is 100% stable! :)

I know this because my Internet, Phone and Power bills all just arrived in the inbox :mad:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
To add.....
I seem to be getting this error message (twice) when I open....
gpedit.msc

Capture1.PNG

After I dismiss it the second time (click OK) everything seems to work OK.
I imagine I could remark out that particular "Policy Definition" in the WindowsUpdate.admx file, but since it doesn't seem to be impacting the function of the editior, I'll let it go for now rather than going through the whole take ownership thing.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same error??

Regedit32

Reaction score
What a long day its been testing out this prerelease.

Some more discoveries
  • File History is disabled! That way they word it in the Settings | Update & security | Backup makes it seem it may be deprecated. I could be reading too much into that though.
  • Reset option runs smoothly, and relatively quickly. But and this is a B I G B U T when the computer eventually rebooted to the Lockscreen, there was only a Network icon, and keyboard and mouse were disabled. In other words no way to log in or sign-out, other than to Force shutdown via power button.
    • Using Recovery DVD Troubleshoot I discovered the options for Startup were not loaded.
  • Previous Restore Points - all gone, but you can create a new one
  • Then my worse case scenario hit me - My slaved hard drive became inaccessible by System Restore, Backup, or the Windows 7 Backup/Restore

So then it was a case - for me anyway - of using HP's Recovery Partition to format drive and re-install Windows 7 Home Premium. Talk about a trip down memory lane. This went smoothly though.

After doing the very minimum of setting up, I remove the bloatware, then inserted my Windows 10 DVD and restarted computer. 40 minutes later OS Build 14393.0 is up and running.

Time to grab the media creation tool, and install OS Build, 15063.322 - again, this went smoothly with Activation working fine.

Before grabbing the prerelease again, I decided to investigate the Photos app. Live Tiles working perfectly fine. Interestingly though unlike in the prerelease, no additional keys or Values were added to the Registry.

I noticed also, that the Mail app in 15063.322 suddenly has a few bugs. That may be something to do with a recent update.

My Ralink 802.11n Wireless Lan Card was back up and running.

Time to reinstall the prerelease:
  • Ralink 802.11n Wireless Lan Card is non functional again
  • Mail app is also not working - I assume it inherited the issue from 15063.322
  • Microsoft Edge is now working a lot more smoothly, and so far no C:\Windows\Explorer.exe issue.
  • Photos app continues to work, however the Live Tile feature does not work.

Conclusions: At this stage, it seems the best option is to do a clean install to limit the number of issues. Perhaps next update will improve things some more. *Fingers and toes crossed*

Reaction score
I am having this little problem any idea's would be great.
The computer is killing and restarting the Textinput.DLL constantly,
Every time I want open more than about 4 tabs or enter data the browser slows down to the point of closing all but 1 tab
And it only started on the Cyberfox since I installed it this morning. before that it was Firefox

Faulting application name: plugin-container.exe, version: 52.1.3.6348, time stamp: 0x591e33ec
Faulting module name: inputhost.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x611118b9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000002469
Faulting process id: 0x1bd4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e4227d14ac18
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cyberfox\plugin-container.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\inputhost.dll
Report Id: d7e37356-2ca5-4e7c-9a05-0a21ef6f9419
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi David,

That may imply that a DLL file has been corrupted or replaced by a new version [ while installing a third party application ], or that something has unregistered the DLL file.

The two things you could consider trying to see whether it resolves this for you would be:
  • Re-register the DLL files
Press Windows key + S together
Type command in the Search/Cortana field, then in search results right-click on Command Prompt > select Run as administrator

Click yes at the User Account Control prompt

In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type/copy& paste the following:

Code:
regsvr32 /i Windows.UI.Core.TextInput.dll

Press Enter key

Now type/copy & paste the following:

Code:
regsvr32 /i InputHost.dll

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key to close the console.

Close any other open programs, then restart computer

• Check for System corruption

Type command in the Search/Cortana field, then in search results right-click on Command Prompt > select Run as administrator

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter key

At end of scan, you'll see some results.

If not integretiy violations are fine, you are fine.

If problems were found and were repaired, close any open programs, then restart pc and run the scan one more time.

If problems were found, but were unable to be fixed, let me know and I'll go into some more details of what to do next.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you But I got this Error again
Faulting application name: ctfmon.exe, version: 10.0.16215.1000, time stamp: 0x7a10e7c0
Faulting module name: InputService.dll, version: 10.0.16215.1000, time stamp: 0x8e0f5d4c
Exception code: 0x00000675
Fault offset: 0x000000000002f814
Faulting process id: 0x23cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e4ed3793627b
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\InputService.dll
Report Id: c0ddc77a-454e-4a99-a77a-689c839000d3

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is interesting as the faulting application has now changed to ctfmon.exe and it is this application that in the latest prerelease of Windows 10 is popping up alerts in Safe Mode.

We may have to await Microsoft fixing this one.

Reaction score
Hi David,

That may imply that a DLL file has been corrupted or replaced by a new version [ while installing a third party application ], or that something has unregistered the DLL file.

The two things you could consider trying to see whether it resolves this for you would be:
  • Re-register the DLL files

Code:
regsvr32 /i Windows.UI.Core.TextInput.dll

Press Enter key

Now type/copy & paste the following:

Code:
regsvr32 /i InputHost.dll

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key to close the console.

Close any other open programs, then restart computer

• Check for System corruption

Code:
SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter key

At end of scan, you'll see some results.

If not integretiy violations are fine, you are fine.

If problems were found and were repaired, close any open programs, then restart pc and run the scan one more time.

If problems were found, but were unable to be fixed, let me know and I'll go into some more details of what to do next.​

Regards,

Regedit32
It crashes when I try to run in safe mode with a weird msccflt.sys or dll file I have a dump of the files and the error logs saved The computer runs in normal mode seemingly fine until I want to type into the Win S box No keyboard works when I browse the net it faults the input container Dll and Cyberfox in general. The error file is huge as the offending file keeps crashing and reloading every 10 seconds.Maybe you can make sense of it as I just want to disable the damn thing. I have sent it up thru the feedback loop with a capture.

Attachments

• DAVIDSCOREI5-Fri_06_16_2017__94338_46.zip
    743.2 KB · Views: 819
  • errors.zip
    768.1 KB · Views: 443

NoM

Reaction score
I too are having non-stop crashing of the taskbar, making my desktop rather unusable. I can't do anything without it crashing. It's affecting my mouse input, but mostly anything to do with the bottom bar, start menu and switching between windows.

Faulting application name: ctfmon.exe, version: 10.0.16215.1000, time stamp: 0x7a10e7c0
Faulting module name: InputService.dll, version: 10.0.16215.1000, time stamp: 0x8e0f5d4c
Exception code: 0x00000675
Fault offset: 0x000000000002f814
Faulting process id: 0x440
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e6edf8721b22
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\InputService.dll
Report Id: 92916843-64c9-44d5-b2c7-25141d8f3c7b

Honestly, opening CMD as administrator has taken me 10 minutes thus far. For anyone else, is there an easy way to launch cmd using run with admin? In Linux it could be sudo/gksudo terminal

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
is there an easy way to launch cmd using run with admin?
Launch Task Manager
Either by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination or by right clicking the task bar and selecting it from the context menu.
In Task Manager use the menu bar -> File -> Run new task ->
Type "cmd" into the text box and check the box underneath that says "Creat this task with administrative privleges"

Capture.PNG

Also, if you have the time, while you're at it, you might want to test to see if your current issue is unique to your profile or if it is a global Windows problem by creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group for testing purposes.

Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding file extensions of known types, it might just say "cmd")
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).
You can delete the account later, whenever you wish.

Ask a Question