Jpeg picture won't show

Reaction score
This is a continuation of a thread with regedit32. Enclosed are snapshots of my Command Prompt results.

Attachments

• Command Prompt.jpg
    Command Prompt.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 576
  • Command Prompt1.jpg
    Command Prompt1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 559

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK so it appears your Windows Photo Viewer has been set up around the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE which ought to make the application work for all User accounts on your computer.

If you can open your Command Prompt again and query these two locations, and post the results:

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell"

Press Enter key

Code:
REG QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Photo Viewer\Capabilities"

Press Enter key

Also, can you open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer and confirm whether PhotoViewer.dll exists there and if yes, what it's file size is please.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The data in your second image with all those file associations is correct by the way.

As for the first image, I've not seen EXPixJPEG before. I assume you installed a third party application to view JPEGs with. If you were not using a third party application here, and also were not using Windows Photo Viewer (setup in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER profile), then a query of the key would result in this:

sample2.png

Reaction score
The data in your second image with all those file associations is correct by the way.

As for the first image, I've not seen EXPixJPEG before. I assume you installed a third party application to view JPEGs with. If you were not using a third party application here, and also were not using Windows Photo Viewer (setup in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER profile), then a query of the key would result in this:

View attachment 5658

PhotoViewer.dll with date 7/16/2016 and size 1,710 KB
I did not install a third party application.

Attachments

• Command Prompt2.jpg
    Command Prompt2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 583
  • Command Prompt3.jpg
    Command Prompt3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 557

Regedit32

Reaction score
My apologies re your second image.

I accidently included Computer\ in the path. I've edited the previous post to correct that error.

Try again with the second command.

Also, via Inbox you mentioned you wanted to post properties of the image in question.

That may be helpful, if you still have that image.

Reaction score
The picture ad per image has a restore in the properties which goes to an external hard drive I no longer have dated back in 2005

Attachments

• Command Prompt3.jpg
    Command Prompt3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 559
  • Bridge Out Properties.jpg
    Bridge Out Properties.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 592

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmm something seems a little odd with those properties.

The file name is missing its extension .JPEG

Sample image to demonstrate what I mean

sample3.png

You can see here the image is named OK.JPEG but yours does not, although beneath that field its recognized as a JPEFG File.

There are numerous Registry keys to deal with, if we are to eliminate a corruption there.

It would be simpler for me to simply upload a file for you to merge with your Registry, that will put in place the necessary Keys, Values and Data values. If you did that and the images will not open as expected, then it would be safer to assume the file itself is somehow corrupted.

What would you like to do? Merge a REG file I can upload, or just leave things as they are for now?

Reaction score
Hmm something seems a little odd with those properties.

The file name is missing its extension .JPEG

Sample image to demonstrate what I mean

View attachment 5663

You can see here the image is named OK.JPEG but yours does not, although beneath that field its recognized as a JPEFG File.

There are numerous Registry keys to deal with, if we are to eliminate a corruption there.

It would be simpler for me to simply upload a file for you to merge with your Registry, that will put in place the necessary Keys, Values and Data values. If you did that and the images will not open as expected, then it would be safer to assume the file itself is somehow corrupted.

What would you like to do? Merge a REG file I can upload, or just leave things as they are for now?

OK, send me a file to merge with the Registry.
BTW, only about 25-30% of my pictures won't open...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Attached is the file:

You may want to create a restore point before using this
  • Download EnableWindowsPhotoViewerHKLM.reg
  • Before using, scan with your security software for virus etcetera.
  • If satisfied the file is safe, right-click and select Merge
  • When prompted click Yes, then Yes again, and finally OK
  • Close any open programs, and restart computer
  • After restarting computer, try to open one of your image files.
Note: The first time you open a particular file type (for example .jpeg) you will be prompted to select what to open with. I'm assuming you'll choose Windows Photo Viewer. You can check a box to ensure not to be prompted again for that file type.

Good luck! Hopefully, this will resolve things. If not then logic says something is up with that 25% of files, or the PhotoViewer.dll file you have is somehow corrupted.

If it still will not work, can you ZIP some of the files that won't work, and upload here so I can see whether I have same issue or not.

Attachments

• EnableWindowsPhotoViewerHKLM.reg
    24 KB · Views: 486
Reaction score
Attached is the file:

You may want to create a restore point before using this
  • Download EnableWindowsPhotoViewerHKLM.reg
  • Before using, scan with your security software for virus etcetera.
  • If satisfied the file is safe, right-click and select Merge
  • When prompted click Yes, then Yes again, and finally OK
  • Close any open programs, and restart computer
  • After restarting computer, try to open one of your image files.
Note: The first time you open a particular file type (for example .jpeg) you will be prompted to select what to open with. I'm assuming you'll choose Windows Photo Viewer. You can check a box to ensure not to be prompted again for that file type.

Good luck! Hopefully, this will resolve things. If not then logic says something is up with that 25% of files, or the PhotoViewer.dll file you have is somehow corrupted.

If it still will not work, can you ZIP some of the files that won't work, and upload here so I can see whether I have same issue or not.

Murphy's Law - didn't work...
Here is a zipped file of what I sent the last guy some time back...

Attachments

• Bridge-Out.zip
    853 bytes · Views: 298

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is a shame.

I tried to open your attached file and got the error message: Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the files appears to be corrupted, damaged, or is too large.

It also will not open in the built in Universal app: Photos, nor in any browser.

Reviewing its meta-data, there appears to be missing information. That could be because you chose to remove personal information, but if you did not choose to do that, then the original file likely came from an encrypted source; for example off a SD card in a phone or camera, or from an external drive using encryption.

Assuming all your images came from the same original source: its difficult to be sure why a portion are now corrupt, while the majority are still working. Did you ever attempt to rename the files after bringing them from Original source to your present computer? That could corrupt them, especially if you altered the file type.

I assume your Windows Photo Viewer still opens other images fine. If not let me know.

I'm unsure precisely what other things you tried via Google search on your error, but if any of the 'other things' were using recovery software, you would need to use such software from your current computer, to scan the original source of the image file; be that a SD card, or an external drive. (You mentioned you don't have the external drive any longer, so hopefully, the actual original source was from somewhere else).

I am confident the Registry is fine in terms of you using the Windows Photo Viewer as your preferred choice to view images. Given the image also will not open in Microsoft's Photos app that came with Windows 10, it has to be an issue with the File, not the applications or their Registry entries in my personal opinion.

Sorry it did not work out. It was certainly worth checking all the same.

Regards,

Regedit32

PS: Avoid YouTube — How to fix X errors. #1 Terrible music! #2 Some of the alleged fixes are complete nonsense! #3 Often used to promote third party junk that is not worth the space it takes on your drive! :)

Reaction score
That is a shame.

I tried to open your attached file and got the error message: Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the files appears to be corrupted, damaged, or is too large.

It also will not open in the built in Universal app: Photos, nor in any browser.

Reviewing its meta-data, there appears to be missing information. That could be because you chose to remove personal information, but if you did not choose to do that, then the original file likely came from an encrypted source; for example off a SD card in a phone or camera, or from an external drive using encryption.

Assuming all your images came from the same original source: its difficult to be sure why a portion are now corrupt, while the majority are still working. Did you ever attempt to rename the files after bringing them from Original source to your present computer? That could corrupt them, especially if you altered the file type.

I assume your Windows Photo Viewer still opens other images fine. If not let me know.

I'm unsure precisely what other things you tried via Google search on your error, but if any of the 'other things' were using recovery software, you would need to use such software from your current computer, to scan the original source of the image file; be that a SD card, or an external drive. (You mentioned you don't have the external drive any longer, so hopefully, the actual original source was from somewhere else).

I am confident the Registry is fine in terms of you using the Windows Photo Viewer as your preferred choice to view images. Given the image also will not open in Microsoft's Photos app that came with Windows 10, it has to be an issue with the File, not the applications or their Registry entries in my personal opinion.

Sorry it did not work out. It was certainly worth checking all the same.

Regards,

Regedit32

PS: Avoid YouTube — How to fix X errors. #1 Terrible music! #2 Some of the alleged fixes are complete nonsense! #3 Often used to promote third party junk that is not worth the space it takes on your drive! :)

Reaction score
Amazing in this computer era that these pix won't open. Here is an error message from paintdotnet:
System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Image.FromStream(Stream stream, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement, Boolean validateImageData)

at PaintDotNet.Data.JpegFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\JpegFileType.cs:line 78

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Thanks for trying............................

Ask a Question