SOLVED KNOWLEDGE BASE

Reaction score
I'm one of the many with the START MENU problem. One tech indicated I would have to wait for an update for a fix. Then he said "Oh, you probably can't get updates". So I went to my update history and found that I am still receiving updates. I also saw some very interesting or possibly strange KB updates that I thought I could find out more about.

Reaction score
I'm one of the many with the START MENU problem. One tech indicated I would have to wait for an update for a fix. Then he said "Oh, you probably can't get updates". So I went to my update history and found that I am still receiving updates. I also saw some very interesting or possibly strange KB updates that I thought I could find out more about.

Ok. You might get a more direct answer if you go to Google search and then enter in the search What is KB (and the number)
example :
google search.jpg

Reaction score
Would you mind show us your " interesting or possibly strange KB updates "?
Maybe we can both look them up ?

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score

See if this link will help you

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/824689

Reaction score

In the Knowledge Base link I gave you, scroll down a bit and you will see a list of what MS call Query Words.
For example if you want to know about dual boot, the Query Word is kbDualBoot.
If you just type kbDualBoot into the Search for Support box and you will get some answers. May not be the ones you want, but there they are.

Reaction score
Actually I was trying to find out why KB890830 Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool appears on my update history a total 55 times over two months time (45 successful and 10 fails) on one computer and not at all on my other one. I accidently clicked on a site about KB890830 and immediately got a message "You are running Windows10 64-bit. Although Malicious Software Removal Tool will not run on your system, you can download Malicious Software Removal Tool for other operating systems." So I figure it is on this computer because I upgraded from Windows 7 while my other computer had Windows 10 pre-installed, perhaps? However, why are the majority of the attempts successful if it will not run. Why doesn't MS stop trying to install it. The second strange thing I was interested in was the cumulative updates but I've satisfied myself that "cumulative" catches up on previous fails. So by doing a little digging I think I understand these updates a little better.

Reaction score
See? You don't always need help from others.
Nice to know that now you can tackle issue head on by yourself without relying on others.
You solved the problem by yourself.
Good job.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just curious. Is the last entry for kb890830 successfully installed?
If so, then it should , normally, continue with successive installs on a monthly basis. This is to update its own Dbase of viruses.
You need not seek to run it manually. It sits on your computer and, on its monthly cycle, scans your computer for known new viruses - when it sees inactivity.
If you want to read up on it, you will find it here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/890830

P.s. I think the reason for the failed items, is that there may have been a hangover of one of the older versions, from your upgrade.

Reaction score
The last entry for KB890830 failed on 10/18/15 but it was successful twice on 10/16/15. is that strange?

Reaction score
According to my records, that was the last update. You should be ok now.
And yes. maybe strange. But many aspects of windows 10 updates are VERY strange

Ask a Question