Laptop Crash while watching YouTube Video

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I witnessed this event twice so far. It proceeds as follows:
1- Me watching a YouTube video via Google Chrome on a Dell laptop (Inspiron).
2- The video becomes very slow, but doesn't completely stop, while the processor fan enters a frenzy state and spins at max speed. This lasts for a few seconds (less than 5).
3- The laptop completely shuts down.

When I restart, nothing seems abnormal, except for the Chrome's 'restore tabs' message. I do not have any antiviruses running in background, except for Windows Defender.

It may be relevant to mention that I've set the Desktop background pic to run a slideshow, fed from my Pictures folder. I noticed that in the two occasions this problem happened, when I login back, the background has been changed. It may be a coincidence though.

Thanks everyone for your help in advance...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It may be relevant to mention that I've set the Desktop background pic to run a slideshow, fed from my Pictures folder. I noticed that in the two occasions this problem happened, when I login back, the background has been changed. It may be a coincidence though.
Good eye.
Seems that would be easy enough to diagnose. Set a static image or basic color as the desktop background and see if you can force the problem to occur.

It sounds like a temperature issue to me, with the fans attempting to address the issue.
You may want to inspect the computer for dust and debris accumulation and perhaps address that with some compressed air.
You may also want to employ one of the many hardware monitoring programs out there to determine if you do in fact have a temperature issue.

Ask a Question