Laptop doesn't recognize own power cable

Reaction score
Hello,

my laptop stopped recognizing its own power cable - the screen is dimmed and laptop is on power saver! When I unplug the cable and plug it again it seems to work at first, the screen lights up but it's only for a few seconds - it gives me runtime error notification (the one like you get when unplugging power cable) and the screen dims down. It's interesting that same laptop works normally with other laptop's power cable. I got some bugs with Windows 10 creator's update?

Thanks for any clues!

Rezo

Reaction score
I think you need a new OEM replacement power supply/charger. You mentioned in your post ["It's interesting that same laptop works normally with other laptop's power cable. I got some bugs with Windows 10 creator's update"]

By chance, would your laptop be a Dell.?
Dell and other manufacturers use a 3 pin power adapter cable. The 3rd wire is located in the centre of the male power plug. The centre pin is used for communication with the laptop on start up.
My guess is the centre pin on your power adapter plug is either bent or missing.
You'll require a new OEM replacement power supply/charger adapter.

Reaction score
As Norton already said, if it works with a different charger, you have a charger that went bad. In most cases there are bad parts in the output circuitry. Your laptop thinks there is nothing plugged in due to the fact that the output voltage is not as it should be. I see this issue almost on a daily basis and not only with laptops....

Reaction score
I think you need a new OEM replacement power supply/charger. You mentioned in your post ["It's interesting that same laptop works normally with other laptop's power cable. I got some bugs with Windows 10 creator's update"]

By chance, would your laptop be a Dell.?
Dell and other manufacturers use a 3 pin power adapter cable. The 3rd wire is located in the centre of the male power plug. The centre pin is used for communication with the laptop on start up.
My guess is the centre pin on your power adapter plug is either bent or missing.
You'll require a new OEM replacement power supply/charger adapter.

The problem resolved by itself in a peculiar way: at first I got fewer "runtime error" notification and dimmed screens, then it went away completely. By the way, laptop is not Dell, and by the fact that charging occurs normally through "bad" power cable when laptop is turned off, I think it must have been be a software / driver problem that "cured itself" through Internet or some update. Thanks

Reaction score
As Norton already said, if it works with a different charger, you have a charger that went bad. In most cases there are bad parts in the output circuitry. Your laptop thinks there is nothing plugged in due to the fact that the output voltage is not as it should be. I see this issue almost on a daily basis and not only with laptops....
As I replied to Norton, the cable does charge laptop battery when the computer is turned off, so I think it might have been a driver problem. Thanks for reply!

Reaction score
I was quick to celebrate, runtime error and dimming screen again! One other observation is that when power cable is plugged in, all three lights, battery charging, cable and power buttons, are blinking in a synchronous way.

Reaction score
As I replied to Norton, the cable does charge laptop battery when the computer is turned off, so I think it might have been a driver problem. Thanks for reply!

Of course it does but with the computer off you take the load of the battery so the charger has just the strength to charge the battery.

Ask a Question