Life Expectancy For Solid State Drives

Reaction score
Article in new Maximum PC magazine reports on long term testing of SSDs. I was under the impression that given the finite number of read/writes I would be replacing my SSDs rather frequently. It appears that the life expectancy has been greatly underestimated and some long term testing indicates an SSD could last 1,000 years in normal, everyday use. There will always be the occasional rotten egg just as there are with mechanical drives but overall it looks like a SSD should outlive me.
I currently have 5 of them and am looking forward to a long and happy relationship with them.

Reaction score
It's like all technology, it starts out a bit ordinary and gets better over time. Not to mention expensive.
There are some truly smart people in these companies.

HERE is an interesting article that you might be interested in that discusses if Windows Defrag's SSD's. Trouble and I have linked this article in other forums.

Reaction score
lol - Dave

I think most worries is the mainstream audience getting into a mainframe server conversation.

Reaction score
There was me not knowing that SSD's had been around that long, in order to test there lifetime.

Reaction score
Very interesting, Trouble.

It wont give me undue concern. With my use of an HD/SSD, I fully expect either to outlive my life expectancy. LOL:rolleyes:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I fully expect either to outlive my life expectancy.
Not sure, what might be an appropriate response.
I hope it's a tie??? OR.... You Win? :)
I'm gonna go with the latter.

Reaction score
This is not good news for a gadgetholic like myself. Looks like my SSDs will outlive me and my need to replace them will be unrequited.

Reaction score
LOL. I cant keep my hands off a gaget that is not behaving, either. But repairing a chip??? Nah. I would leave it in the dustbin.

Reaction score
Arstechnica.com has some excellent articles on SSDs including the theory and practice of the expected lifetime. They are back a bit so do a search

Reaction score
So basically they'll outlast everything else in the box and most things outside the box.

Reaction score
How about this?

Tech giants Intel and Micron have announced a new class of computer memory called 3D XPoint, which the companies say is up to 1,000 times faster than the conventional NAND flash memory we use in devices today.

The new form of non-volatile memory is the first new category of memory technology since NAND flash was invented nearly three decades ago, marking a major turning point in how we could be storing and accessing data in the near-term future. In addition to the phenomenal speed gains, 3D XPoint is said to provide 1,000 times greater endurance when saving new data to the memory. It’s also 10 times denser than current flash, meaning it could lead to smaller components and ultimately even smaller devices.

http://www.sciencealert.com/intel-s...-1-000-times-faster-than-current-flash-memory

Ask a Question