Limit Battery Charge in Windows 10

Reaction score
I was reading on how it is important not to overcharge a battery beyond 100% because it decreases the lifespan of the battery. Lithium-ion batteries are most widely used in laptops and overcharging is dangerous to battery life. I want to know how it can be avoided if you limit the battery charge after a certain percentage and if it can be done?

Reaction score
I've not found any device yet that allows over-charging, whether computers, power drills, weed trimmer, power saw, etc., they do stop charging when reaching a full charge.

Reaction score
It's actually recommended to keep the battery charged at 50% to increase lifespan if you are primarly using your laptop on AC. Many laptop models (Dell, Lenovo) come with some kind of battery management that lets you set the charge threshold. My Thinkpad stops charging at 50% unless I set to charge 100% when I plan to use it on battery. Since I mostly use it as a desktop on AC I leave it at the recommended 50% battery lifespan setting.

There is no generic utility that does this - it's vendor specific.

Ask a Question