Linux Mint Rafaela 17.2 question

Reaction score
go into control panel and user accounts and you should be able to set it to automatic logon.
that I can explain.
you will still need your password for changes you make to the system.

no antivirus is needed.

find the terminal in your start menu and go into terminal and type

sudo ufw enable
then press enter

type in your password and then press enter. that will enable your ufw firewall.

to check that the firewall is active type sudo ufw status

it should say active.

ufw stands for universal firewall.

It is active.

Screenshot-1.png

Reaction score
ok I think what you want to know is that anything that you want to add or change that can alter the system does require you to enter you administrator password. installing certain apps requires administrator access and a password. this is just part of Linux security. it seems like a pain in the behind but you get use to it and you won't even notice that you are doing it.

find your software center and give it a look there are lots and lots of useful apps.
one that I like is xsensors as it is similar to core temp. shows your processor core and graphics core temperature. suppose to show more but I have been unable to configure it properly.

Reaction score
Question : about system image backup in Windows 10
1. If I logon to my Win 10 and do my regular system image backup, will that have anything to do with Linux partition ?
I assume not, but I want to make sure.

2. If I need to run a system image backup to restore my Win 10 system image, will I be able to do it without interference from Linux ?
Again, I would assume it has nothing to do with Linux, but I want to be sure.

Reaction score
I would think so but am uncertain. I think trouble is the one who would be able to answer that with a definite answer.
mine just does an image of my drives however I have my dual boot on two different drives and then image them to two more backup drives.
this is all done through acronis software that I downloaded for free from western digital website because I was to tight to spend $35.00 to buy it.
it was also not easy to setup and acronis seems to be very problematic or it could just be my setup

Reaction score
1. Is there really no way to create shortcuts at the desktop other than bookmarking them ?
There is " Add to desktop" option but it only applies to built-in applications such as Firefox browser.
I can't put a shortcut of Windows10forums on the desktop.

2. I read an article from Linux Mint forum about NoScript. It will protect from Java Script attack.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723

Should I install it ?
If yes, do I download it from the web ?

Do I carry-on too long on a subject that is non-Windows ?
Should I stop ?

Yes. I'll terminate this thread. I should ask at Linux forum.
Thank you everyone for assisting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
you are fine this is an off topic place and no moderator has said anything so nobody is complaining.

I am sure that there is a way to create a desktop shortcut but I haven't been able to find out how to.

I don't install java on any platform as it is too vulnerable.
also as far as java script attack I wouldn't worry about it.
linux isn't bullet proof but it doesn't get all of the malicious attacks that windows is vulnerable to.
as long as the ufw firewall is turned on and you use safe web habits then you should be good to go.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/security
read this although I think he is a little to paranoid. but just read it over a few times.

life is good.
the poorguy

P.S I know that I annoy people on forums and have probably killed a few threads but what the hell.
if it bothers someone then all they have to do is ignore the thread / post or in my case I will tell
you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I promised to discontinue this thread.
I have to insert these closing comments :

It does basically everything we do in Windows.
The OS is FREE.
Say goodbye to Windows Updates.
Unlike Windows, it is pretty well virus-free, relatively speaking.
No AV needed.
No defrag needed.
BSOD? Vicious Repair/Restart loop? Freezing screen? SFC can't repair corrupt files ? Dism can't find source file ? No such animals !
There are many good tutorials/articles about how to use Linux., such as "10 things to do in Linux Mint" which is very helpful. So, I am not left in the dark.

Dislikes :
The commands/codes to be used in Terminal is a Huge learning curve. The only OLD computer programming language that I have knowledge of is Basic. This one is all Greek to me. Yes there are articles about the command codes in Linux, but will I understand it remains to be seen.
Every Admin application requires password to gain access. Annoying.
I don't like FF and the search engines provided. I have to switch to google.ca every time.

Conclusion : I like it. A lot. I am still a Windows fan, just a little less now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A good number of those command line commands date from the early '70s with Unix so it is not surprising that they seem like ancient greek.

Ask a Question