Linux Mint Rafaela 17.2 question

Reaction score
Maybe I shouldn't start a new thread. But I shall have more questions from time to time regarding Linux Mint.
If necessary, will the mod please merge them

Question :
Can I use Hotmail instead of T-bird ?
I don't feel like starting an email program I never use before.
I don't want Google Mail either, for the same reason.

Reaction score
i still use my gmail account and would think that you should be able to use your hotmail account.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hotmail is a web-based email system, just like Gmail, you just go to your account in the browser (firefox).

Reaction score
Yes. I should have known.
I did that in Windows and IE.
Somehow Linux plays trick to my head. Can't think straight.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Relax and take your time, pretty soon you'll be an old hand at it.

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't do anything but the brightness comes back on and now it is real bright.

I can surf, I can use Hotmail, I can do screenshots.
What remains to do is to setup dual booting which I am a little intimidated after reading the tutorials.
/root, /home, /swap. What the hell is that ?
Well, I'll figure it out. Just new terminologies.

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't do anything but the brightness comes back on and now it is real bright.

I can surf, I can use Hotmail, I can do screenshots.
What remains to do is to setup dual booting which I am a little intimidated after reading the tutorials.
/root, /home, /swap. What the hell is that ?
Well, I'll figure it out. Just new terminologies.

ok it is not hard to do.
in windows decide how much hard drive space that you want to allocate for linux. that depends on the size of your hard drive. you can get by with as little as 20 gb however if you have a big enough hard drive then i would allocate at least 40 gb to 80 gb that way you have room to grow.

ok to start in windows enter into administrative tools in the control panel.
go into disk management and shrink you hard drive to the amount that you want to allocate for linux.
exit and insert dvd into cd rom and restart your computer you may have to go into the boot menu and boot from cd rom device.

once it boots follow the menus that pop up as you did to test it and select install.
do what it says and when you come to the window where it asks you what and how to install it to the hard drive choose along side of windows and follow what it says and you should be good to go.

Screenshot-install.jpg

also somewhere you have to enter who you are and a password etc etc.
hope this helps.

i remember my first linux install and it went real well and yours will to.
i will be seeing you in the linux camp soon. enjoy.

the poorguy

Reaction score
LinuxMint 17.2 has been installed alongside with Windows 10.

The reason of my last post was that I was using the Ubuntu DVD and when I tried to install, it did not have "alongside" option. I had to choose the "something else". Hence the /root, /home etc etc which confused me.

This install did give me the "alongside" option and install went through.

I do have one serious question.
I shrunk my C drive in preparation for Linux. I allocated 200GB to the new partition.
Now that Linux is installed and I went to diskmgmt, and I am not sure if it is normal. There is no drive letter on the new partition I created ( I presume Linux installer would assign that itself ) and I am not sure if Linux is in the partition at all.
Am I to assign a drive letter to the Linux partition myself ?
Why is the Linux partition called a Primary partition ?

diskmgmt.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK. I went back to Linux and found the Linux's version of diskmgmt.
Someone please explain to me how do I read the disk ?

Screenshot.png

Reaction score
this may explain.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN152018/en

I don't think that Linux gives drive letters, it all looks like everything is where it is suppose to be when I looked at mine. I don't understand enough about partitioning to explain it the right way and I would only make myself look like a dumb ass if I was to try.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Questions :
1. Any way to avoid authenticating with a password every time I access admin applications?
2. Do I take it that I don't need any AV for protection ?
3. Never thought in my life that I would ask this ....... do I have to do manual update , or does the update manager do it auto ?

Reaction score
The physical disk is /dev/sda as you can see. The partitions will be sda1 sda2 etc. So sda5 is your EXT4 Linux partition and sda6 the swap partition. In that tool you show you should be able to select the partitions.
I expect the Linux install will have mounted /dev/sda5 and starting from / you should be able to read it all. Some directories will require you to do sudo in front of ls to see the contents.

Getting going with Linux is, believe it or not, easier in terminal mode... imho anyway.

Reaction score
Questions :
1. Any way to avoid authenticating with a password every time I access admin applications?
3. Never thought in my life that I would ask this ....... do I have to do manual update , or does the update manager do it auto ?

You can set an automatic logon to most Linuxes, I don't remember how but somewhere in some obscure text file. If you use a terminal rather than graphical you can just use sudo in front of the command....but that means your user id must be in the user group that allows sudo.
I guess there are some AV suites for Linux but I have never seen nor used one.
you do updates at a terminal anyway
sudo apt-get update checks all your installed packages against the master repository for your distro
sudo apt-get upgrade Checks Linux itself for changes

Ubuntu and Mint ( probably Debian as well) has a single command in the graphical interface to do this and will tell you when there is stuff to do. Which I suspect is what you want.

I haven't had a full scale Linux for some time. I am running Linux ( Raspbian, a version of Debian) on my raspberry pi machines but I tend to struggle through the half remembered command line stuff.

Reaction score
Questions :

go into control panel and user accounts and you should be able to set it to automatic logon.
that I can explain.
you will still need your password for changes you make to the system.

no antivirus is needed.

find the terminal in your start menu and go into terminal and type

sudo ufw enable
then press enter

type in your password and then press enter. that will enable your ufw firewall.

to check that the firewall is active type sudo ufw status

it should say active.

ufw stands for universal firewall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
go into control panel and user accounts and you should be able to set it to automatic logon.
that I can explain

That's not what I meant. I do prefer logon with password.
I just find it inconvenient to enter my password every time I try to open an Administrator app.
Apparently that is not possible. That's ok.

I am on Win 10 now. So, I will need to go to Linux to run the firewall.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Firewalls on Linux and Unix tend to be pretty good. A lot of the serious ones run on a stripped version of BSD Unix and needless to say, some of that goodness gets to Linux.

Are you talking about an Administrative type app on Linux or Administrator on Windows?

Reaction score
Are you talking about an Administrative type app on Linux or Administrator on Windows?

Administrative type app on Linux.

Last edited:

Ask a Question