Lock Screen & Sign-in picture issues

Reaction score
Hi. Now for the past month (or more), I’ve been encountering this issue in regards to my Sign-In Screen. Whichever picture I choose as my Background picture, the Background picture appears on my Lock Screen but DOES NOT appear on my Sign-In Screen. When I open & checked my, Lock Screen Settings Window, I scrolled down to Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen & I do have it is set to ON. I don’t know/understand what changed or if I did something, but I wish to find a solution.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is it possible at some point you disabled background images?

A quick way to verify this would be to do the following:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account control dialog appears, click Yes
  • At the Administrator: Command Prompt, type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System"

Press Enter key to execute command.

Sample image of possible result
    img1.png

If you do see the result as illustrated above, changing the Data value of the DWORD DisableLogonBackgroundImage should resolve your issue. To do that, at the Administrator: Command Prompt, type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v DisableLogonBackgroundImage /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key to execute command.

Sample image
    img2.png

Note:
    This policy will apply to all User accounts on the Computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
It appears that you have corrupted your OS, i would do a full test and correct any corruption. then try to reset both LockScreen and BackGround to your preference.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit. Thank you for responding to my post & for your suggestion. I followed your instructions, but with no success. Meaning, I got no response when I copied/pasted that code in the Administrator Command Prompt. After I hit Enter, in return, I got C:\WINDOWS\system32>. I’m really confused & frustrated in not knowing how to clearly explain myself for others to help me. Be mindful, my computer is 7-years old & I’ve been seeing signs of it aging, but I’m going to continue using it until it completely dies on me. There are a number of things I can say which once worked on my computer, but either stopped working or I had completely lost. For instance, at one point I was using Windows Spotlight set as my Lock Screen for many months (which I really liked) until it started acting up on me. I did all sorts of things & even had reached out to Microsoft remote accessing services (Microsoft Disability Answer Desk) in trying to reset my Windows Spotlight images, but I never had the ability to utilize Windows Spotlight again. Because I really liked so many of the Windows Spotlight images, I was able to download over 170 images & stored all of them in a folder called Windows Spotlight Images. Of course, I have this folder in my Pictures Folder & my screen saver is set to Photos. In the Screen Saver Settings, I chose Pictures > Windows Spotlight Images folder. And as my Background image, I copied one of the images from my created Windows Spotlight Images folder & pasted that alone in a separate folder called, Lock Screen. I store all of my Lock Screen images/photos in this Lock Screen folder which also is in my Pictures Folder. If this is all too confusing indeed I do apologize & can understand.

If I may, I want to reiterate what I said in my original post here pertaining to when I stated (& also want to stress), the Background picture appears on my Lock Screen but DOES NOT appear on my Sign-In Screen. Everything which I have described above do you still think my Background images are, “disabled?”

Although this may be totally irrelevant & for reasons being I’ll spare you from, I use & create lots of keyboard shortcuts. Therefore, I created a keyboard shortcut to start my Screen Saver. I’m wondering if this Screen Saver keyboard shortcut could somehow be playing a role in all of this? Again, reread what is colored in yellow which is my issue.

In closing, if my computer is corrupted can anyone suggest any tools/apps out there to test my OS for any corruption?

Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
If after entering the command I mentioned you simply saw a blank line against the black screen in Command Prompt, then that tells me the particular hive you queried is in its default status. In short this means it has not be set to disable your background images.

Thus, something else is affecting your System.

Snuffy suggested you might run some tests on your OS, then try to set your lock screen and background image again.

You could run a System File Check to find and repair corrupted System files from an Administrator: Command Prompt, by doing the following:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account control dialog appears, click Yes
  • At the Administrator: Command Prompt, type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Press Enter key to execute the above command, which will allow DISM to download files via Windows Update that may be needed to repair the Windows OS. It's important to do this command first, as its likely your System OS is corrupted, thus new files are needed before running the System File Check command.

Assuming the above command executes with no issue ( i.e. you OS is not corrupted to the point the Windows Update Service is unable to run without error ) then, you can now run a System File Check, by executing the following command:

Code:
    sfc /scannow

Press Enter key to execute the System File Checker command above.

Note: If errors are found and repaired, repeat this System File Checker command, atleast two more times.

If all goes well, you can try again to set your Background Image and Lock screen.

Let us know how you get on with the above.

For a more in depth explanation of the above refer to this Microsoft Article on the topic:

This article explains what I've just mentioned, but also tells you the typical results you will see when running this test, and what to do in the event its unsuccessful.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Followed the above steps, restarted computer, & my Lock Screen image showed on my Sign-In Screen. I thought this was solved! Wanted to be certain, did afull Shut Down, & when I started computer back up my Sign-In Screen reverted back to solid color. An Agent from Microsoft Disability Answer Desk has me doing an repair/update download. Take over an hour to run through. Will keep you posted with outcome.

Reaction score
Hi Regedit, I meant to follow up with you earlier in the week, but other things came up requiring more of my attention. Although this issue I posted might seem trivial to many others, it bothers me only in not understanding this problem. To review, why does my Background image appear on my Lock Screen/Sign-in Screen. Yet, after I Shut Down (or Restart) my computer my Sign-In Screen is just a solid color. That is what is bugging me! BTW, I don't want to sound disrespectful nor to be rude to you. What I mean to say is, I'm not sure if whether or not you're still interested in me following up. Let's say, if you don't reply back to this post I'll understand & just assume you have no further suggestions for me. Anyway, after I performed the repair/update tool (remotely initiated by an agent from Microsoft Disability Answer Desk/last week). I didn't bother testing it out by shutting down/restarting because I just knew it wasn't going to fix my issue. Sure enough, when I started up my computer the next day my Sign-In Screen still remains to just show a solid color. Yes, I did open up my Settings and in Background Image settings, I have it set to, “Picture.” Having had other past experiences with Microsoft Disability Answer Desk’s agents I do believe their next step/suggestion will be some type of like a clean re-installment of Windows 10. I forget what exactly it’s called, but I had it done once or twice on my computer. I think that it takes a couple of hours. HOWEVER, whatever it’s called it DOES NOT do a complete re-installment of Windows 10 (starting from scratch), because I didn’t lose any of my apps, settings, etc. That would be the very-very last step, one that I would never take regardless of whatever issues I encounter. Back five or six months ago I started having issues with my Action Center & had spent almost over 2-weeks working with a slew of agents on the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk website. Somehow/reason I lost all of my titles/shortcuts/buttons on the bottom of my Action Center. On this website, Microsoft Disability Answer Desk I did a remote session with a Level 2-Tech who told me in order to get my Action Center fully back to its capacity I’ll need to do a complete/total re-installment of Windows 10 (from scratch) & I would lose everything. By no means was/is the Acton Center that important to take such drastic measures. Now my Action Center only opens for a split second, then closes, & is always completely blank.

I’m sorry if I digressed. Reverting back to my posted issue, I wouldn’t suppose you would have any other suggestions regarding why does my Background image appear on my Lock Screen/Sign-in Screen. Yet, after I Shut Down (or Restart) my computer my Sign-In Screen is just a solid color?

Dave.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've not posted recently because in a previous post you mentioned the issue was solved, then not solved and you would update us after performing a repair update.

To be honest, I cannot think of anything else in regard to your sign-in screen forgetting the settings you chose and reverting to a solid colour, unless you are using a very dated build of Windows 10, so can you confirm what build you are currently using.

On a side note you mentioned your Action Center quick action buttons are missing. You can add them back by doing the following:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings
  • Select System
  • On the left pane select Notifications & actions
  • On the right pane click Edit your quick actions
  • Click Add and select the quick action to add — repeat this step until you have added all the quick actions you want to appear
  • Finally, click Done

Reaction score
When you questioned if I’m using a very dated build of Windows 10, wouldn't one assume after having a repair/update performed just recently on their system, then wouldn't they have an up to date build of Windows 10? Please excuse my ignorance, I may know how to use a computer except, knowing how a computer works & etc. is honestly beyond my intellect comprehension. It's like I always compare it to someone who knows how to drive a car is one thing, but knowing exactly how a car runs is a completely different story. In any event, my current Windows 10 version is 1903 & the OS Build is 18362.535.

Also, thank you for trying to help & your suggestions with my Action Center issue. I did follow your instructions & when I tried clicking on Edit your Quick Action, all that happened was my Action Center just quickly opened & closed & was completely blank. I do believe (& like you said) there is something else amidst with my OS. For me, it’s just very frustrating!!! It’s like having a car that is over 7-years old; little incidental features on the car are starting to go, & you cannot figure out the reasons why.

Anyhow, please know I very much appreciate your help!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Generally, when someone does a Repair/update they will be using the matching Version/Build to achieve this — hence me asking are you still on an older build.

The most current Version is 1909 and the latest build is 18363.535

Given you are now describing two significant failures of your build of Windows 10, you may end up having to do a clean install to rid yourself of all these nagging issues. Before doing that though, you will want to backup any third party applications and data, and any personal pictures, music, etcetera.

Ask a Question