Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Log in to Windows 10 Automatically - How to log in to Windows 10 by automatically entering the password

It is possible to log in to Windows 10 without needing to enter your password, although this isn't recommended (for obvious security reasons!). However, there are some cases where users are in an environment where this isn't a problem and it would be easier to simply turn on the PC and skip straight to the desktop without needing a password.

To get started, press Windows Key + R and type in netplwiz then click OK:

The user...

Read more about this article...

Reaction score
Ian, I followed your instructions, but I still have to enter a password, which is not recognized. When I 'restart' and enter the password, it is recognized. I re-installed W10 with an installation disk I made. My issue was not corrected.

Reaction score
Using one local account without a password works for me. And then making the option not to require a password to login.

Additional settings I make which might require re-logging:
  • Set Screensaver to never require a password to log back in. (login screen is ridiculous for those who don't have a password and only one account, but we still have to manually turn it off.)
  • Set the machine to never Sleep or Hibernate.
I might would make an exception, if I was repeatedly in a position where I couldn't plug in a portable.

@Ian, Is this supposed to work with MS account login, local login, or both?

Reaction score
Ian, I followed your instructions, but I still have to enter a password, which is not recognized. When I 'restart' and enter the password, it is recognized. I re-installed W10 with an installation disk I made. My issue was not corrected.
I had the same problem with the unrecognized password. I saw that I had two accounts in the lower left corner of the sign in screen. I picked the alternate account and signed in with that. I had earlier entered "netplwiz" in "Run" etc and now it just skips right on by the sign in.

I just went to "User Accounts" in the Control panel and clicked on 'manage my accounts in pc settings' and down at the bottom I saw the second account was the Microsoft Account which I removed. I am pretty sure that's how it went.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @Boomer - another question that I'd like to the above advice is how many user accounts to you have and are they local or Microsoft accounts?

@clifford_cooley, I understood this method to work with both local and Microsoft accounts, but I've only tested it with the former. Has anyone tried this with an MS account? I will make a test login and find out if not.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @Boomer - another question that I'd like to the above advice is how many user accounts to you have and are they local or Microsoft accounts?

I only set up one account, but initially after the upgrade, there was choices to log on with Microsoft or my personal account. I was totally 'thrown off' by that, as I did not understand why. When I followed others suggestions, I looked for a Microsoft account but did not see where I could delete it. There has been too many 'different' suggestions that do not work, and I'm getting more confused and more frustrated. At least I can log on to my PC, but it takes 2 restarts and about 5 - 7 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Could you attach a screenshot of what you see when running "netplwiz" please? I'm a little confused as to what is happening, so this should help.

Reaction score
Could you attach a screenshot of what you see when running "netplwiz" please? I'm a little confused as to what is happening, so this should help.
SS 1.jpg
SS 1.jpg
Ian, I was referring to Dan99's comment:
Dan99 said: "I had the same problem with the unrecognized password. I saw that I had two accounts in the lower left corner of the sign in screen. I picked the alternate account and signed in with that. I had earlier entered "netplwiz" in "Run" etc and now it just skips right on by the sign in.
I just went to "User Accounts" in the Control panel and clicked on 'manage my accounts in pc settings' and down at the bottom I saw the second account was the Microsoft Account which I removed. I am pretty sure that's how it went."

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Zoomer - that's interesting. Do you use the homegroup feature? (It's a way of sharing resources over a home network). I wonder if you disable the homegroup feature if you'll be able to skip straight to the desktop on the first go.

Reaction score
Ian, I will try disabling my home group feature. Thank you for your assistance.

Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Log in to Windows 10 Automatically - How to log in to Windows 10 by automatically entering the password

Read more about this article...
Ok people, figured this out of not automatically logging in. Go to users, click on whoever has password protection, click on change password, put in old password and leave the rest blank. Restart and you will auto log in. Couldn't remember when i set my laptop up and i just got a new desktop and yes was driving me crazy like all of you. Good luck

Ask a Question